General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Severe Transmission Issues ('99 Accord 2.3L V4 FWD AT)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Exclamation Severe Transmission Issues ('99 Accord 2.3L V4 FWD AT)

I am very new to this forum and not very mechanically inclined. My Honda Accord has had minor tranny troubles since I bought it (slippage in 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd) but more recently it has given out entirely.
I was driving to my home that was two hours away when the engine light came on. Suddenly the engine would cut off at 4k rpm. Great, VTEC is malfunctioning. Decided to stop and check my oil, everything was fine so I got back in my car and as I was trying to accelerate back onto the road my tranny does something it's never done before.
It had a very difficult time changing to 2nd gear, and would not shift into overdrive at all. At some times it acted as if it was in neutral and only the RPM would go up. It had gotten to the point where my engine was at 6k rpm just so i could go 60. Then it shifted violently and the CEL started to flash and I could no longer accelerate. I pulled over, let it cool down and then crawled in first gear to the nearest exit. I tried to get over to a gas station across the road but it wouldn't shift out of neutral at that point and I was stuck in the middle of the road. I was able to shift it into 1st manual and get just far enough to get off the road.
I had it towed home and it now sits in my driveway. I had 9 codes pop up on the way home that day. P1259, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0300, P1738, P0740 and P0730.
It will move in 1st gear and reverse, but will not shift into 2nd gear. I did some reading and found that it may be because of the computer or a bad solenoid, which would be a lot better than getting the tranny fixed or rebuilt. I've also heard that the P0740 means death, which worries me a lot.
A local transmission shops wants to charge me $600 just to see what's wrong with it, but I would like to figure out what's wrong myself instead of paying that much. I really hope this is fixable without pulling or replacing the tranny. Any help is much appreciated

Old 09-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Not looking real good.....you could try testing the second clutch pressure switch but that is a reach. You can pull it and be sure the port is not clogged up with "junk". Then also pull the solenoids and check for the same - if they do have "junk" you will want to clean them as best you can and see what you have from there.

What does the fluid look/smell like? When was it last changed?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:07 PM

I've checked all of the solenoids, all of them function properly and are within spec. The atf doesnt smell burnt at all and still has red coloring to it (i changed the fluid a couple months ago or more), no gunk was in the solenoids from what I could tell. I haven't checked the filters on the lock-up solenoid because I haven't figured out how to get to the last bolt on the top.

I erased all the codes from it and the only one that came back was P1753 (Problem in Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve Circuit). So if the filter isn't clogged which I assume it isn't because none of the other ones are, maybe it could be the wiring to the solenoid? Perhaps maybe the vehicles computer? I've read online about Fuse #6 being blown that could cause the P1743 code but haven't looked much into it. The second clutch pressure switch I'm going to inspect tomorrow.