General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharp Idling when going into D4

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Default Sharp Idling when going into D4

1994 Accord Ex 2Dr A/T

First off, thank you all who helped me with the speedo issue from before. It turned out that the VSS was in very bad shape and my engine is leaking both oil and antifreeze, which got into the sensor but that's a whole different story.

The problem at hand now is my idling. When I first start the car it idles as a cold engine should just above 1k. When it warms up it will get anywhere at or below 1k. This is normal. As soon as I go to shift into D4, the engine becomes sporadic and goes near 0 on the tach and then jumps up to about 2k. If I let the engine be and try to rev up, it just shuts down. If I give it a little gas, I am able to recover and the car moves. However, when I am accelerating there is a constant jerking as the engine revs high and low sporadically. The car jerks back and forward through 3rd gear. As I pick up speed, the engine will periodically jerk back and forth again but recover. When I come to a stop and try to start back up the symptoms from Point I start up again.

I recently checked a few things, and I did notice that there is a tube that comes from the engine to the intake, which is connected to the throttle and air intake housing that is broken and there is just a hose that's disconnected and broken from the intake tube. I don't know if this can feed the problem or what else has caused all these problems. Any suggestions would help tremendously!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i would fix the broken tube, hose and let us know the results,, sounds like you got a big vacc leak

Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM

its a very tiny tube, and it goes from the head to the intake hose... it looks like it was molded onto the intake tube itself. How would I go about fixing that?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

You need the PCV valve #1 with it's hose #11 that goes to the intake manifold.

You also need the breather tube #4 which connects to a metal tube #2 which in turn connects to the big rubber air intake duct.

So which one is missing?