General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Shift from Parking to Drive in 5 to 10 min when cold.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:30 AM
slickwheel
Unregistered
Default Shift from Parking to Drive in 5 to 10 min when cold.

I am interested to buy my friend s car, 93 accord, but the problem is when motor is cold, specially in the morning, you start the car , but ths shift lever wont move to drive or reverse untill the car is warmedup for 5 to 10 mins, my friend says this problems has started this winter, but after that car runs very smooth , no shifting or acceleration problems, also there is a small slit to insert the key by the shift lever. I have heared there is a switch which lock the lever, and when you press the button by your thumb on the shift lever, it releases the lock, and car should shift from park to any gear, may be this switch is not working, or is it a proble with the transmission.
All the advices are needed, so I can make a decision, I like ths car the way it drives. Thanks to all.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Shift from Parking to Drive in 5 to 10 min when cold.

A common reason for this problem is failed brake light switch. Have someone check that brake lights are coming on when brake is pressed. If not, you've found the problem. The brake must be pressed (brake light switch closes) to enable shifting from park. If this is problem, try some WD40 or other light lubricant sprayed on the switch to "loosen" the mechanism. I've had this fix work on my Acura 2.5TL.

It could also be the solenoid that locks the shifter is misadjusted or not actuating when cold. Fixing this solenoid or adjusting solenoid throw requires removing the console cover and adjusting the mechanism per Honda specs. A shop manual is necessary. You could download a 90-93 Accord manual from the online links under DIY section to guide your work.

good luck

Old 02-24-2008, 11:18 AM

on my car the button is very hard to depress when cold.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:54 PM
slickwheel
Unregistered

yes, TexasHonda you are wright, I think its the solenoid, after I checked that brake light was on when I pressed the brake, I reralized then it must be something else, I saw a small hole by the shift lever, saying "shiftlever Release", so I tried to insert a flat old key, and I press the key inside, and then I tried to move the shift lever and it moved, even when I removed the key from the hole, it was moving from Park to drive and Reverse, so is it the solenoid, but also I wnat to point out, brake light on the dash board is also on all the time, even when brake is not pressed, is it also because of solenoid or this is another problem. Thanks to all who replied to this thread.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:50 PM
slickwheel
Unregistered

I checked the solenoid switch, seems its working ok, also another thing I want to mention that brake light on dash board is always on during driving, and also when the car is warmed up, the shift lever moves form parking to drive with some force you dont the key to be inserted in shift release lock hole, but when the car cold the shift lever wont move at all without inserting the key in shift lock release. Please comment

Old 02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Can you hear the shift solenoid click when you turn the key to the II position and hit the brake?

Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need to adjust the interlock solenoid position. This will require removing the console and adjusting per the Accord factory procedure.

Download a 90-93 manual from the links of the "Online Manuals" DIY post. I believe I've seen a 91 and 92 Accord manual. Either should work for the solenoid adjustment.

good luck

Old 03-01-2008, 11:07 AM

off the subject since you figured this out, another common problem with that bodystyle is the shift cables, Regardless of temps or anything, the shifter will feel stiff out of park into reverse than be easier in 1-D4.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:11 AM
slickwheel
Unregistered

yes, I can hear the click noise when I hit the brake, also when I took the car for oil change, the mechanic told me it could be rusted shift lever cable, that might be rusted, so it need to be chnaged, but I was wondering is there any way I can lube that cable.