General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Soleniods

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Default Shift Soleniods

Does anybody know where the shift solenoids are located on a 2002 EX V6 Coupe, I think there are 2.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

There are two solenoids, but they are combined into one part. #8 is the shift solenoid. It looks like it bolts above the big hole for the cv-joint towards the middle of the transmission

Old 09-27-2009, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the pic. I have a neighbor with the exact same car and it was diagnosed by the dealership as a blown trans eventhough there were not any shavings when they drained the fluid. He had another shop replace the solenoids and now it runs like new again.

He said the guy that replaced them was an ex-Honda tech who told him they were known to fail around 60K, but most of the time there were misdiagnosed as a bad trans and the dealerships wanted the money from Honda for replacing the trans. He also said that not replacing them when they start to go bad will kill the trans.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by poolman
Thanks for the pic. I have a neighbor with the exact same car and it was diagnosed by the dealership as a blown trans eventhough there were not any shavings when they drained the fluid. He had another shop replace the solenoids and now it runs like new again.

Is that for auto trans - or Manual.

I have a 2000 Accord 4 cyl with low miles ( 84k ) that I have transmission concerns about - and wondering if this is something I should be looking for.

I'm swapping out the trans fluid this week - to see if that solves the problem - but if there's a low cost option to look for - rather than a possible full Trasmission swap out - I'm always looking to save money.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 AM

It's an automatic and both vehicles started getting higher shift points in 1st gear ( no slipping )

I'm not sure if mine is the same problem, but the solenoids run around $250.00 and look to be about an hour job

Old 09-27-2009, 11:38 AM

I know it has been asked before, but I could not find under the search feature. Does anybody know what the shift points ( RPM ) are under normal conditions. Mine shifts at a higher RPM when it's cold, but only in 1st gear.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by poolman
It's an automatic and both vehicles started getting higher shift points in 1st gear ( no slipping )

I'm not sure if mine is the same problem, but the solenoids run around $250.00 and look to be about an hour job
My car started shifting a little rough a few weeks ago - and the check engine light went on. I got an OBD reading that said it was my transmission. I checked my trans fluid - and it was the low side of normal. Added a half quart of trans fluid - to top it off - and the shifting is smoother - but still a little rougher than normal at times. I'm hoping that a full trans fluid change will do the job - but if not - I'm looking at a pretty hefty transmission swap out bill for a low mileage car.

My first Accord was a 96 Stick shift Accord I drove as the sole owner and got 170,000 miles with original clutch on it and it was running nicely when I traded it in. I'm definitely not happy about a Trans swap if it comes to that. Will be changng the fluids more frequently moving forward though - that's for sure.