General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Cannonball
Unregistered
Default Shifting Techniques

Ok so I'm new here have been looking for a good accord side for a long time..

My question is,

I have a new accord 6 speed and I'm wondering 4 things

1. Does shifting in to neutral on down hills and straight aways hurt the tranny/put extra strain on the clutch or anything?

2. Does shifting in to neutral get you that much better gas millage?

3. Is it hard on the car to give it a lot of gas up hills in a high gear so it has low rpms?

4. Is it better or worse gas millage to give it lots of gas uphills but low rpms?

Thanks Love the site.

Scott.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:35 AM
Default RE: Shifting Techniques

My opinions on your questions:
1. No, I always pop it into neutral & let off the clutch
2. Possibly, you will get mixed opinions on this one. I would say maybe like 0.2 mpg better or something...if even that much
3. Not sure about it being "hard on the car", but think about it this way: Did you ever have a bike that had like 10 speeds on it when you were a kid? If so, did you try to climb hills in higher gears?
4. Many people's opinion is that if you try to give it gas at low rpm's(same principle as above^)the engine struggles therefore using more gas. Although I thought that the higher your rpm's, the more gas you burned.
My basic opinion is this: if you feel like you need to downshift, you probably do. That is the way I drive and I get about 32mpg city driving in my '00 4door LX 5spd. And no I don't drive like a grandma either. I just rarely get it over 4k rpm's.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Cannonball
Unregistered

Thanks.

Only thing else is when I'm going up hills. What rpm should it not go under? Like 1.5 or 1?

Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM

I don't go under 2k

Old 05-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Cannonball
Unregistered

Ok thanks thats pretty much what I wanted to know.

Man this accord is fun to drive.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Coasting downhill in neutral is illegal in some states. Besides, idling in neutral actually uses more gas than leaving it in gear. That's becase most modern engines actually shut off the fuel in that situation. Bestto just leave it in top gear, &take your foot completely off the gas pedal.

Most engines do better (fuel economy) if you stay in a higher gear & give more gas to climb a hill. (But there's exceptions.) If there's not enough power to keep above 2000 rpm or so, then downshift. Or if you really need to go faster, then downshift. But I figuredthe question was justabout fuel economy.

Old 05-06-2007, 04:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Cannonball

Thanks.

Only thing else is when I'm going up hills. What rpm should it not go under? Like 1.5 or 1?
When I replied to this I forgot you had a V6 (Six speeds are all V6 right?)you might have more power than I do at lower RPM. So I cannot accurately give an opinion as Ido not have any experience with a 6spd V6. Dang I am jealous though! What kind of mpg do you get out of it right now?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:43 PM

it is fine to put your car in neutral if you are going down hill but when ur going up hill and better if go at a higher rpm

Old 05-07-2007, 04:04 PM

i have a v6 6speed and before that i had a4 cil 5 speed grand am going below 1.5Kfor an extended period of time hurs the car. i use to curse my negigbor hood in 4th going 25-30 and after a while the car started to jerk, the spark plugs were misfiring or somthing. going up hills i would say dont go below 2K tho while cruzing +50 i like to leave the car in 6th having it around 1.75K-2K thos this is my experance on a smaller engine i would say its probally a good rule of thumb. oh and try to never go below 1K rpms