General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 LXi-notchy shifting-figured it out

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:52 PM
GringoEJS
Unregistered
Default 89 LXi-notchy shifting-figured it out

I just finished putting in a new clutch and everything went smoothly. However, now it doesn't shift smoothly like before. It has a little trouble going into each gear while the motor is running. When the car is off, it shifts quick and smooth. I didn't knowingly adjust anything...just wondering what could be wrong. Seems like a linkage issue, but I don't know how to determine that or adjust it.
Thanks in advance for any help

Old 06-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 89 LXi-new clutch but notchy shifting

never done a clutch on an old school but i think you have a cable clutch, so......it might be an adjustment that needs to be made, or maybe you didnt put the fork back in there just right.

in general it sounds like your problem is that the driven disk is not fully releasing from the flywheel, so that inputshaft is still turning, which makes it very difficult to nearly impossible to shift

Old 06-08-2006, 10:06 PM
GringoEJS
Unregistered
Default RE: 89 LXi-new clutch but notchy shifting

Well, I took it off the jackstands and drove it and it shifts perfectly. I guess you can't just shift it from gear to gear while the clutch pedal is pushed in.
Anyway, car shifts fine
Thanks