General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short shift kit install for '98 LX

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Default RE: what does it do

Here's some more info that no one probably cares about with short shifters... *L* Due to the way that physics works if you simply cut your shifter and re-install the **** at a lower point then the distance between gears will be shorter, however it may feel a bit more stiff since you'll have less leverage. The problem/downside to lowering a shift **** is that in a true track race like situation it is farther to reach to grab the **** and shift and those precious seconds mean everything in racing so a "true" short throw shifter will maintain height and shorten the throw to most effectivly increase the speed with which you can move your hand off the steering wheel, grab the shifter, shift, and get back to the steering wheel, it's all a matter of what you want it for on what you should do.... Personally when I had my civic I just cut off about 2 inches and got a universal glove type (sparco actually) and that lowered the shifter a bit, made it feel a little more solid (aka stiffer) and shortened the distance... Imagine on a teeter totter if someone sits halfway between the seat and the center fulcram when they go up or down the will travel less and not be has high (or as low) as the person on the end of the seat, however, since they are closer to the fulcram they will have to weigh more to lift the other end.... I hope that all makes sense for anyone who cares....

Old 03-27-2007, 01:42 PM

So why would a short shifter replacement be more beneficial than cutting the stick...how about an adapter?

Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM

When cutting the stick you have to cut out a section andweld it back together so the threads are still there to screw the shift **** back on (at least this is my understanding.) So you need access to a welder. If you cut off too much you are screwed. If you buy a short shifter you could always go back & re-install the stock stick if you wanted to.
Plus I haven't seen many adapters for under $90. The Megan racing short shifter is $25 plus shipping.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM

You don't have to weld all of them... here's a link to the type of **** that I bought (I think I paid $50.00 for it) but you can find them cheaper, with this particular setup it has 3 screws that are pointed, you just tighten them down (use a little bit of lock-tite to keep them from backing out due to vibration) and they grip into the stick, then the top of it threads into the globe/shift ****...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sparc...QQcmdZViewItem

With a short shifter replacement it will give you the same feel/smoothness of a standard shifter but with less throw, not to mention most of them maintain stock height, or just slightly shorter.... personally, my opinion is that unless you are doing racing application just cut like 2" off with a hacksaw and install a different shift ****, the only difficult part about this (aside from getting the cut straight) is lining up the **** and figuring out how you want to re-install the boot to make it look nice.... The reason I went with a globe is because of the height of it but that's just me....

Old 03-30-2007, 12:14 PM

So.....Yesterday I received what the web site told me was a "Megan Racing Short Throw Shifter." What I got is an "L" shaped peice of metal with a bolt on one part and a hole in another. It is attached to a thin purple piece of cardboard with a sticker on it that says "98-02 Honda Accord Shift Adapter." Nowhere on it does iteven say Megan Racing! I am pretty disappointed. I emailedprostreetonline and told them what I got was not what I was lead to believe I would be receiving. I know this is a short shift kit adapter,but the website says it is the actual shifter.They tell you it is an adapter for a 94-97 accord, but for a 98-02 Accord it saysit is a short throw shifter. There were no instructions whatsoever.They didn't even send an invoice! Itlooks like it was shipped from some woman'shouse in California! I need to take a picture of it and post it online so you guys can see it. I emailed them and told them what they sent me was not what I ordered. Oh well, I guess you get what you pay for. I still feel like that was false advertising. I am thinking about reporting them to the Better Business Bureau.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:40 PM

The part that was sent to me looks identical to a DC Sports shift adapter (I've been looking aroundon the internet for a similar part.) The DC Sports adapter is about $70 plus shipping, but it comes with installation instructions. My supposed "Megan Racing Short Throw Shifter" came with none at all.
So here's my question: Has anyone bought a DC Sports short shift adapter and do you still have the instructions? Does anyone know where I can find instructions? I found a website where a guy was installing something that looked identical on a Prelude, but I'm not sure if the install will be the same.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 PM

I just realized I may be threadjacking. Sorry. I created a new thread under "ShortThrow Shifter disappointment."