General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slow Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Slow Starting Issue

Bought my 03 new and always thought that it turned over slower than other cars I have now and have owned in the past. The last couple months the headlights dim slightly when braking or using the heater, ect. Was really cold out a couple mornings last week and it really turned over slow. I took to Advance and had the battery and alternator tested. The tester said that both checked out ok, but the battery was low. Any ideas to check on?

Old 12-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Slow Starting Issue

It sounds like a weak battery to me, the issue increasing with cold may indicate that you have a low CCA (Cold Cranking Amps, I believe that's what it is called and stands for but my brain is fried right now...) rating on the battery or an old/weak battery. Is it sealed or does it need water?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:43 PM

that 4 cyl. does turn slightly slower than it's v6 version for some reason. even with a new battery.

did they load test teh battery or just resistance check it?

load testing the battery takes at least 30 seonds btw.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

that 4 cyl. does turn slightly slower than it's v6 version for some reason. even with a new battery.

did they load test teh battery or just resistance check it?

load testing the battery takes at least 30 seonds btw.
Not sure what he did. He rolled a machine up to the car and hooked up to it.
I may try AutoZone for the heck of it.
Really slow this morning. I didn't think it was going to start.

I notice at night that the lights dim when simply applying the brake too.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:28 PM

that sounds like a weak battery or alternator.... I'm leaning more towards the battery not taking/holding a charge like it should since your dimming lights issue accompanies a slow start issue.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

that sounds like a weak battery or alternator.... I'm leaning more towards the battery not taking/holding a charge like it should since your dimming lights issue accompanies a slow start issue.
I think I'll let AutoZone test the alternator and battery and see if they think that they both are ok. I notice my headlights dim for an instant when braking and or some other power usage.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:35 AM

when that happens thats usually indicative of a low battery. I had that problem not too long ago, I had one of those O'reilly SuperStart sealed maintenance free batteries and it turned out to be a piece of Poo. the 2 best batteries for the money would be either a DieHard or Autocraft Silver/Titanium.

watch the language...

Old 12-20-2007, 08:55 PM

diehard tends to cause corrosion on the battery terminals though in my experience.

also, most vehicles i work on have a momentary dim in the headlights when you hit the brakes or use the power windows(causea load). it's normal. a larger battery my partially eliminate it but it's still a characteristic.