General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:39 PM
jmoteled
Unregistered
Default SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME

I have a 1991 accord put two junkyard distributors in it sometimes spark and sometimes not. when it does have spark i try to step on the gas and it will chug then stall and it won't start again for a while.. when it finally does start again the same problem occurs with the stalling and a jumpy tach needle its a standard tranny.. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH WHAT MY PROBLEM IS. Also just had my timing belt changed.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Default RE: SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME

first off.... did you do the whole distributor or just the distributor cap? Are the cap, rotor, plugs and wires all good? If you are using bosch plugs replace them, did you put in a new coil with the distributor? If your spark is giving out with new distributors it may be the coil.... Have you replaced anything else while testing? Anytime that you can make it occur consitently or is it totally random?

Old 12-27-2006, 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: jmoteled

I have a 1991 accord put two junkyard distributors in it sometimes spark and sometimes not. when it does have spark i try to step on the gas and it will chug then stall and it won't start again for a while.. when it finally does start again the same problem occurs with the stalling and a jumpy tach needle its a standard tranny.. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME WITH WHAT MY PROBLEM IS. Also just had my timing belt changed.
First check for spark and fuel.I had the same exact problem which turned out to be the fuel pump relay. I replaced the radiator one day and while allowing thecar warm up I hit the gas and it stumbled, stalledwould not start. It was getting spark, but no fuel.When the key was turned to the accessory position I could not hear the fuel pump cycle. I bypassed the fuel pump relay to make sure there was nothing wrong with the fuel pump. You can either replace it with a new $70relay or fix it for free if you know how to use a solder sucker and solder pen. Here's a great site to check out. http://techauto.te.funpic.org/mainrelay.php
With the naked eye you can't see the solder defects, but under a 10x eye loop you can see the cold solder.I hope it's as simple as a bad relay.
Let us know what you find. Oh, good luck removing the relay on your stick. The clutch pedal makes it awkward to get at.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
jmoteled
Unregistered

I got a used distributor from junkyard and three different ignitors. got a new coil new cap and rotor still no start.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:28 PM

based on your first post you said that it's loosing spark when it won't start? does it sound like it's turning over normally, no clicks, or really slow turn over? If it's a spark issue and it feels/sounds like it's going but no spark, check the cables and make sure they aren't corroded, make sure your ground cable for the battery and motor is clean, perhaps the ground for the motor has a problem, If it's turning over normally then the battery should be fine... I'm wondering if this is a main relay problem, I can't recall the years that were most affected and I thought it had more to do with fuel than spark but not a bad thing to test... Search the forum for "Main Relay" and you'll find more information than you want... So here's my order for troubleshooting if it turns over normally:
1) Check Cables, Corrosion, Good Ground, Tight Connections
2) Test the Main relay

Old 12-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Did the engine EVER run after the T-belt was changed?
Try hooking up a test light to the Black/yellow wire at the dist, to be sure the ignition switch is continually sending power to the coil/ignitor.
Check the ground at the T-stat housing also.
You can remove the top T-belt cover and check that the Timing is correct.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 AM

all the above ideas are great but dont forget about the degree timing of the distributor.my95 accord is set at 15 degrees passed stock

Old 12-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

was the problem there before you hd the timing belt replaced ?? if not, as suggested, i would chk cam timing .. also chk the rotor make sure it is not shoting through

when engine don't start and you get no spark,,, try this test,,,,,remove distr cap, ,,,,get a test lite, turn the ign key on, make sure you get power at both wires at the coil,, if you do,,,,,,,,,have someone crank the engine over while you put the test lite lead on the negative side of the coil,, and the other to neg side of battery
if test lite pulses you got a bad coil
if test lite does not pulsate you got a bad igniter

Old 12-31-2006, 12:02 AM

15 degrees? does it not spark knock? I have to keep mine at 10 degrees above TDC.