General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Someone tell me what the heck is up with these RANDOM WIRES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Question Someone tell me what the heck is up with these RANDOM WIRES?

I got these 7 Wires connected to the negative battery and going all over the place under my hood. This guy at the Audio FX store told me that they are grounds for my engine or something. But he said that 7 is wayy too maanyy. This other guy at AUTOZONE told me that its for my electrical system, so when I put a sound system in, my head lights won't get dimm or/and my battery doesn't have to work so hard to power my AMP.

Main thing is that I don't want to get rid of them if they're there to help, know what im saying, I want to clean them up. so which ones should i take off and which ones should I keep?

Wire 1&2 - ON THE ENGINE AND ON THE SIDE OF THE ENGINE

Wire 3&4 - BEHIND THE PASSENGER HEAD LIGHT AND ON THE METAL

Wire 5 - UNDER THE BATTERY SOMEWHERE..??

Wire 6 - ON THE PASSENGER SIDE SHOCK THINGY

Wire 7 - ON THE BACK OF THE THROTTLE BODY

Old 03-08-2010, 05:14 PM

You bought the car without looking under the hood?

Looks like grounding to me...

Old 03-08-2010, 05:21 PM

lol

what the hell is grounding exactly?

Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

All the metal parts of the car should be grounded together. Normally this happens through normal mounting brackets bolts & a few ground wires that are installed at the factory. This helps the electrical system, and also helps a bit with galvanic corrosion.

Some audio freaks like to improve grounding with wire sets like that, because the small differences in ground voltage can make subtle changes in the sound. Most people can't hear the difference. Got a $25,000 stereo system for that car?

Then there's the poseurs who can't hear the difference but they think a set of wires like that will give em 10 extra horsepower.

Occasionally an older car will have some corrosion at the factory ground wires, THEN a set like that might almost provide some actual improvement. But the same improvement can often happen from cleaning & tightening the factory grounds.

Don't just go ripping those blue wires out, because the previous owner might have actually removed a factory ground wire. If someone with a '99 ULEV Accord should chime in, we can compare cars to determine if you're missing any factory ground wires.

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-08-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Waaaoooowwww Im having a MIND EXPLOSION!!!!

Thanks for that genius knowledge of random wires!!
LOL