General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey could someone tell me if my cars frame is bent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 04:14 AM
Default Hey could someone tell me if my cars frame is bent?

Hey i've got a 97 accord special edition coupe. My parents got me this car as a grad present but my bro went n picked it out from a private seller. Anyways my bro forgot to get all the records from the original owner n the owner told my bro that the car was in a wreck but never said how severe it was. So when i got the car i replaced all 4 tires. While i was getting my tires replaced the people at tires plus commented a little bit about my frame and how it seemed funny but they werent 100% sure. so bought some new fuzion hris and now after less than 7k miles the back tires are completely bald. however the passengers side tire in the back is the worsed out of all of them. but the tires up front seem to be wearing evenly. I rmr when i had the previous set of tires the passengers side back tire was completely bald too. however at that time i asked some guy at honda what was goin on n he claimed that the tire used to be up front n someone was jus gunning it n burned all the tread off it n then put the tire in the back. so jus the other day i thot maybe it was an alignment issue but tire kingdom n other places told me to get my frame checked n said it was really unprecedented for them to see sumthin like this. i have not checked the car fax report to see how severe the previous accident was but i know there was no engine damage n front passengers side of the car was hit n you can see where the car was welded back together. Perhaps the body shop did a poor job repairing it? if anyone knows whats up could yall lemme know what a cheap resolution to this would be?

thanks

Old 05-11-2006, 05:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Hey could someone tell me if my cars frame is bent?

first thing you need to do is to have the car ALIGNED....during which, they can see according to the results if something is bent , wether it is the frame or suspension parts..

Old 05-11-2006, 05:38 AM

well i did take it to tires plus n they coulda easily said "yea its an alignment issue n jus charged me 50 bucks". but i think the guy was bein honest n he said he could hook it up n test it to see if it needed an alignment but he said it wouldnt tell him if the frame was bent. n by lookin at the tires n how they were wearing he said right away that it wasnt an alignment issue. I think tomorrow im goin to take it to a body shop to see what they think. hows that sound?

Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 AM

good idea.......if frame is bent. the first thing that needs to be done is to get it repaired ..otherwise you can never align the car properly

Old 05-11-2006, 05:59 AM

if in fact it is the frame, i heard its pricey to fix. i mean my cars only worth round 5k n fixing a frame might be 1k right?? i think im screwed if it is the frame.

btw i preciate your comments/advice

Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 AM

do not jump to conclusions about the cost my friend,, ,, have it checked out and get an estimate... if you plan on keeping the car , it needs to be fixed ,or you will be buying tires constantly..

Old 05-12-2006, 01:11 AM

funny thing is hondas dont have frames, their constructed unibodys, they have a front a rear subframe, which may be bent on the rear. You could pick one of those at your local junk yard in a front end smashed car, that should take you about 5 hours to do with the proper equipment, but u will still need it aligned.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:53 AM

ORIGINAL: poff1986

funny thing is hondas dont have frames, their constructed unibodys, they have a front a rear subframe, which may be bent on the rear. You could pick one of those at your local junk yard in a front end smashed car, that should take you about 5 hours to do with the proper equipment, but u will still need it aligned.

those you call sub frames are the frt and rear cross members ( beams ) the car is a uniframe ( unibody) when car gets in an accident the frame ( body ) where all the suspension parts get mounted on, could get bent , i have seen it ,, you can do all the alignments you want, alignment will always be, out of specs .. ..In this case one needs to take car to body shop , not all body shops have a frame machine ,,frame will be measured, straightened and properly repositioned to get back into specs...
I , personally have never seen the machine in use , but i know it is there and it works ..We had a couple of cars that needed to have that done after a frt end collision ..

Old 05-12-2006, 04:12 AM

i actually took it to a body shop n they recommended that i get an alignment check n get a print out before they charged me to put it up on the frame machine. so i took it to tire kingdom n got them to check it out for free. turns out it was an alignment issue with the back tires. n one of the guys over there told me to go to tires plus n yell at em cuz they gave me an alignment 6k miles ago. so i found out tires plus didin align my rear tires last time n only did the front. therefore my tires burned out really quick. but tomorrow their givin me a free alignment and some new fuzion hri tires.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:14 AM

great news,, i am glad you will have it taken care of for free..