General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sometimes is hard to shift from park

Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 AM
egonzal24
Unregistered
Default Sometimes is hard to shift from park

This is an intermittentproblem.Replaced the brake light switch; problem still there.
I had followed the DIY "CANNOT GET OUT OF PARK....DIAGNOSE", and everything looks OK.
Do I have to replace the shift cable? is this an easy task?
Any instructions you can share.
As always, ty for your replies.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Sometimes is hard to shift from park

Take off all the trim around the shift lever. Then you can see what's going on.

You'll have to decide among acouple possibilities. Without feeling the action of the shifter firsthand, it's hard to tell. The differences are subtle.

Desert's DIY about stuck in park is focused on the brake/shift interlock system. That's most common, but you say that stuff is OK (right)?

It could be a dirty/rusty/sticky shift cable. In that case you could disconnect the cable from the lever (maybe #54 & 37 in the picture?) & make sure the lever itself works OK.

There's a spring-loaded plunger that makes the clicks you feel when shifting. It alsolatches into Psoyou have topress the button #27at the shifter. That could be messed up. In that case the lever would continue to be stuck when the cable is disconnected.

I guess the worst would be internal trouble in the tranny. In that case the cable would move a tiny bit back & forth but the actual lever (at the tranny) wouldn't move easily. You'll have to crawl under & disconnect the cable at the tranny to figure that one out for sure.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Default RE: Sometimes is hard to shift from park

what is the engine rpm when it won't shift out of park? if it's 750 rpm, then you need to inspect the throttle position sensor voltage. if it's not .49v-.51v it will not allow the transmission to be shifted out of park.

another note - when you press the brake pedal do you have brake lights?(i assume so since you replaced the brake switch) do you also hear a soft thump/tick in the center console when you hit the brakes and the car is in park? if not, the shift lock solenoid isn't working. it can either be the solenoid, wiring, or stuck. typical causes of it sticking are from people spill soda and coffee over the years. first check the tp sensor voltage.