General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

spark plug gapping inquiry

Old 11-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Default spark plug gapping inquiry

I lack experience in gapping spark plugs. The manual lists the spec for the spark plug gap for my vehicle/engine as .039 to .043. The new plugs I have are factory pre-gapped at .044. So I figured I'd try to gap the new spark plugs at .042 before installing. I took a flat-blade type feeler gauge I have (similar to this one:
Amazon.com: OEM 25025 26-Blade Master Feeler Gauge: Home Improvement Amazon.com: OEM 25025 26-Blade Master Feeler Gauge: Home Improvement
) and because it of course does not include a blade with a thickness of .042, I held the .022 blade and the .020 blade together which seems to me should an acceptable method of measuring/matching a gap of .042. But I am finding that when I hold those two blades together as described that they do not seem to fit within the .044 factory gap of any of the set of my four new spark plugs (blades just slightly too wide to fit the gap). With my wire-type gauge, this type
Amazon.com: K-D Tools 2327 Spark Plug Gap Gauge: Automotive Amazon.com: K-D Tools 2327 Spark Plug Gap Gauge: Automotive
the two closest wire measurements to my desired gap of .042 is .040 and .045. When I try to fit the .045 wire gauge into the factory gap of all my new plugs, it indeed will not fit (wire too wide), and when tried with the .040 wire indeed slips easily into the gap with room to spare. My question is what is an acceptable/proper method for me to get these new plugs gapped to .042 and be confident about the accuracy of that gap. Any comments appreciated.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but I'd call it "good to go"...you are less than .45 and more than .40. Also note with the "fancy" plugs - plat or irid - you have to be careful not to "bend/push" on the center part.

I've always used NGK plugs in my Honda's. I check the gap before install but I have to say I can't think of a time I had to adjust them.....again just me.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Just me but I'd call it "good to go"...you are less than .45 and more than .40. Also note with the "fancy" plugs - plat or irid - you have to be careful not to "bend/push" on the center part. I've always used NGK plugs in my Honda's. I check the gap before install but I have to say I can't think of a time I had to adjust them.....again just me.
Okay that's good to hear, that I should be just fine (close enough) to the (high end) of the vehicle spec of .043 with the factory gap of .044. I just didn't know whether the slight difference would/could be of any significance.

I didn't bother getting the fancy plugs, mine are the more standard type; specifically I'm gonna use the NGK brand of their "V-Power" spark plugs (number ZFR5F-11).

Thanks poorman212. BTW still struggling with the "BD project". Hit a snafu because when I tried to reinstall my coolant block plug I discovered it wouldn't screw back in because a couple of those fine threads on the the plug got buggered up somehow. Ordered a new plug and it'll probably be here in a few days and I might get lucky and be able to get it screwed it into the hole where it belongs under there where the sun don't shine. And it'll be extra fun because it's freezing a** cold here now outside in my "workshop" (driveway). Meanwhile, if the plug doesn't get here first, I might to ahead next and at least install my new spark plugs as I look ahead to someday in the very near future (I hope) when I get that block plug reinstalled and can continue as planned pre-snafu.

Last edited by sgull; 11-14-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

With the NGK's you got you should be fine....I was remembering a pic of your old plugs that were either irid or plat NGK plugs.

Wish I had advice on the drain plug but I've never messed with it/them on mine.

I've posted before about cold....I think we are getting to all of 45 or so today. Which means I can't hardly go outside yet have projects that need attention.....noticed a "tick" on the Pilot - valves need adjusting. Suspension on the old Ford needs replacing, I had forgotten about the old I-beam suspension on those until I got under there.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:56 AM

With the NGK's you got you should be fine....I was remembering a pic of your old plugs that were either irid or plat NGK plugs.
In regard to the gapping of my new plugs, I decided I should try to gap them toward the low end of the spec range, at .040, and then call it a day on that. Yep, my old ones were irid, here are three of them anyway, in all their glory:

[/URL]

Wish I had advice on the drain plug but I've never messed with it/them on mine.
Yeah I kinda wished I'd never missed with mine. But the the manual does indicate to drain/flush the system entirely to remove the block drain plug. It's in a real pain in a** spot to get to, and especially when working lying underneath in the driveway out in the cold. In this thread, post #3, redbull provided a link to the manual page: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...coolant-60247/

I've posted before about cold....I think we are getting to all of 45 or so today. Which means I can't hardly go outside yet have projects that need attention.....noticed a "tick" on the Pilot - valves need adjusting. Suspension on the old Ford needs replacing, I had forgotten about the old I-beam suspension on those until I got under there.
It's been below freezing here for about a week straight lately, in the 20's at night (30 degrees this morning, right now). Supposed to start warming up and getting into the 40s within the next few days according to the forecast; lucky me. And if I get luckier it'll probably start raining too. Boo hoo I love to complaining. But hey if can get that new drain plug screwed back in I'll be rejoicing. Can't even really get a good view of it while you're trying to get the (dang fine) threads started to screw it in; have to kinda do it "by feel". Fun.
You better get out there and get busy on them Pilot valves and that there Ford suspension; probably ain't gonna get much warmer for ya until spring.

Attached Thumbnails spark plug gapping inquiry-img_2683_zps55017a8d.jpg  

Last edited by sgull; 11-15-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sgull
You better get out there and get busy on them Pilot valves and that there Ford suspension; probably ain't gonna get much warmer for ya until spring.
Yea, the sad thing is with the cold I might just pay someone to do the valves....with the cold and me getting older it is a hard decision. The truck, well it might wait till spring, it only drives about 5 miles a week

As I said I wish I had some "trick" or something to help with the drain....all I can do is wish you luck.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:14 AM

An extra .001 isn't going to matter. I know I don't have the ability to measure that close. The spark will have no problem jumping that gap.

P.S.

I exceeded my Corvair picture showed up! It looks better when it's a big picture, even better in person.

Last edited by Corvair; 11-16-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 AM

the sad thing is with the cold I might just pay someone to do the valves....with the cold and me getting older it is a hard decision.
I hear ya on that one ^. I'm cold (and old) here too man! Hey, it might not be so bad to go ahead and pay a competent person to do up your valves for a reasonable cost (my two cents).

I wish I had some "trick" or something to help with the drain....all I can do is wish you luck.
In regard to that coolant block plug, unless the block threads themselves might be damaged (worst case scenario and of which I'm trying to brace myself for that possibility) it seems I should be able to manage without much trouble. Thanks for the wish of luck because I'll surely need it. Will post back soon with success story about that, I hope.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Corvair
my Corvair picture showed up! It looks better when it's a big picture, even better in person.
Very nice looking Corvair, Corvair. Be careful though: "Unsafe at any speed" (Raph Nader).

Old 11-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I recently replaced my plugs as well, my old ones were iridium( must have been on sale) I used the factory recommended NGK spark plugs gapped at .045,,,spec is .044,,, It runs great, last set of plugs have been in there for at least 5 yrs, good luck on the drain plug. Keep us informed on your progress.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plug gapping inquiry