General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

speedo problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 02:43 PM
flexaccordwagon92
Unregistered
Default speedo problem

i got a 92 accord wagon lx and i have change the vss with a new one, the instrument cluster and still the speedo isn't working. the only code i'm getting is 4 on the d4 light which is the seed sensor which i change already. also the cruise control is not working neither. the d4 light start blinking after a 1/4 of a mile everytime i drive and is not shifting 4th gear. if anyone can't tell me what else to do i will be thankful.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: speedo problem

Code 4 is an electrical fault in the speed sensor (VSS) circuit. It could be the VSS was not the problem and a wiring or connector fault was the reason for the code. Inspect wiring for damage and make sure all connectors are fully engaged. If all looks OK, you'll need to verify wiring continuity between VSS connector and ECU. Release connector at VSS and ECU. Ground one end say VSS end, and check for ground at other ECU end. If you're missing ground at ECU end, you've found defective wire, but will need to find the fault location somewhere in the wire.

It isunlikely but possible someone sold you a defective VSS.

Suggest downloading a 90-93 manual from one of Online Manuals DIY faq links.

good luck

Old 01-11-2009, 04:31 PM
flexaccordwagon92
Unregistered

the speed sensor is oem genuine honda. got it for a honda dealer. the orange wire have continuity to the ecu but the tcu and speedoare not getting any signal for the vss. I test the speed sensor in my brother's wagon which is the same year and model and the speedo works fine so I open the tcu on my wagon and some capacitors and resistors are burned. Do you think thats the problem?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
flexaccordwagon92
Unregistered

alsoI thought that if the speed sensor is bad or defective the cel will give code 17. but i'm not getting that code. was getting it before i change the speed sensor

Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Burned components on a circuit board are not good. However, you might try a reset of ECU/TCU before swapping for a replacement board. I agree code 17 should also be set on the ECU. If no code, then ECU may be toe's up.

Check car-part.com for a replacement ECU near your zip code.

good luck

Old 01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
flexaccordwagon92
Unregistered

I also use my brothers ecu and is the same no code on cel but code 4 still on tcu i will check the wiring next weekend and see if that is the problem. also I'm going to replace the tcu. i'll post and update after i check everything.

thanks Texas