General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of thread sealer for Oil Pressure Sending Unit??? Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 AM
JoeVR5
Unregistered
Default What type of thread sealer for Oil Pressure Sending Unit??? Help!!!

Hi All,

I'm brand new to this forum, and I'm hoping that someone can help me with this . . .

I have a 1992 Accord, all stock, and it has been a GREAT car so far for me. However, it has started to leak a little bit of oil, and it originally looked like it was coming from the oil filter, but I later noticed it was coming from the oil pressure sending unit, located directly above the oil filter. Tonight, I drained the oil, removed the oil filter to access the sending unit, removed and replaced it. However, it is still leaking a little bit of oil, which it looks like is coming from the same sending unit. Maybe it's coming from somewhere else, but I'm 99% sure it's coming from the oil pressure sending unit.

I am guessing I did not use the right thread sealer, and here's why . . .

When I pulled out the old oil pressure sending unit, there was all this hardened, grayish compound around the hole where the sending unit goes into the engine block. I tried to scrape most of it off, but I couldn't see up there (it's kind of hidden by a coolant hose), so I just did the best I could. This stuff looked almost like plumbers putty. Was this right? . . . or did someone before me use the wrong thread sealer on the oil pressure sending unit and eventually it crumbled and oil started to leak?

I was told to coat the threads of this thing with a "non hardening, oil proof sealer or compound," and the guy at AutoZone told me to use Threadlocker Blue. Apparently, this did not work too well, because my Accord is still leaking oil, and it looks to be coming from the same area the oil pressure sending unit.

Can anyone suggest a better thread sealer for this oil pressure sending unit? Also, how tight should I tighten it? Should I tighten it all the way? Someone told me 13 foot pounds, but that seems a little loose for my liking. However, I just don't want to mess anything up . . .

Thanks, everybody. I'm glad to be a part of this forum, and I hope to do some contributing in the future. For now, ANY helpful thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you all!

-Joe

Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: What type of thread sealer for Oil Pressure Sending Unit??? Help!!!

Most parts stores will have Permatex 'ultra grey' it is a silicone sealer that is comparable to Hondabond.
Just a light coating on the threads of the switch is all that is needed.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
JoeVR5
Unregistered

Thanks, Hondadude,

I guess I will take the oil pressure sending unit back out this weekend and use that gray stuff. When I reinstall it, I'll report back with some results.

I couldn't really see in the hole that this piece goes into, because of a coolant hose running underneath it, but I was wondering if any of the old dried up sealant from around the hole could possibly keep the new part from seating properly and cause it to continue leaking. Also, how tight do I screw this thing in? The threads are so fine, I don't want to strip it out.

Do you have any ideas where this leak might possibly be coming from if this does not fix it?

Thanks again,

Joe

Old 01-10-2009, 12:27 PM

This is not professional advice.

1. If you have the right tap u may want to clean the block threads. Careful not to get dirt inside. Put some grease on tap.
Use fingers on tap. Block is aluminum.

2. Is the sender unit leaking internally ?? Test with air pressure.

3. Tighten about 20 foot lbs. I would think.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Check whether that oil pressure switch is leaking thru the switch itself. Thats sorta common too; its not always leaking thru the threads.