General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer Cluster Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Default Speedometer Cluster Replacement

I need to replace or repair my instrument cluster because the odometer is intermittent.I found out theprevious owner I purchased the car from had apparently rolled back the odometer some 30k miles and now the odometer digits do not line upordoes not move. The mileage does not bother me as the engine is in top shape butI need to have the odometer repaired. How hard is this to replace? It looks pretty easy according to the manual but would like to hear from someone who's done that.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Speedometer Cluster Replacement

wow..... favor,, could you right a bit smaller ?? almost blinded me
anyho,, to remove speedo cluster .you need to remove the center console, ash tray + ash tray holder, stereo, coin box, all the switches on the panel. both center vents + left vent, than there are 12 phillip head screws and a few connectors, careful when you pry out the illumination switch out ,,,
Once the panel is removed, there are 4 more screws that hold the cluster on and a few more connectors,

Old 01-25-2007, 03:48 AM

Thanks Dessert Honda I will try to take the assembly out this weekendand see what the problem is. I know of a local auto wrecker that has a used cluster assy. for $20.00 if it needs to be replaced. Oh and sorry about the large blinding fonts I will stay with this size from now on.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM

Replaced the cluster thie weekend. One heads up for those that are replacing theirs is that I got one from a 92 EX andmy caris an LX. It does not work right. The engine check light is on, blinkers will cause the high light lamp to flash etc. I removed the two circuit boards fom the original to the new one and everything now works fine. Also the face plate on the EX shows an "S" under the temp gauge and the "LX" does not. The face plate was also swaped out as well. What is the function of the "S" lamp?

Old 02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

The "S" is the SUPERMAN switch; without that you aren't bulletproof

Ireally crack me up!

Jokes aside, there is a 'Sport' Mode for the transmission, changes the shift points to a higher RPM and slightly higher pressure on the clutch paks.
No big deal, shouldn't cause you any concern.