General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Speedometer Doesn't Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 04:18 PM
swift8585
Unregistered
Default Speedometer Doesn't Work

Hey i am new to this Forum...I just recently brought a 1990 Honda Accord LX auto...It has a few minor problems. The main one is that the speedometer does not work. The rpm's do so i have a general idea on my speed from driving manual cars before but i still would like to get this fixed. My question is..is this car known for the speedometer dying? I have no cel light but the battery was dead when i got it and i only have been driving it for 2 days now so one might still pop. I just want to know if i would be better off just changing the the whole cluster from one at a junk yard or if there is some known wire or fuse that causes this. Also my fuse box inside the car doesn't have a cover. Does anyone have the diagram of what fuse is for what. If so i would really appreciate it if you could post it up for me. And i did do some searching on the forum but i didn't really find anything that would answer my question.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:14 PM
swift8585
Unregistered

Ok in update i found that it is usually the speed sensor that causes speedometer to stop working. So could someone tell me where the speed sensor is? I will also try the cruise control when i leave work today to see if it works. And also my odometer still works with the rpm's

Old 03-28-2009, 08:09 AM
swift8585
Unregistered

"If your cruise control still works when the speedometer is not working, then the speedometer is the problem. If the vehicle speed sensor stops working, the check engine light should come on and the cruise will not work."

OK is that quote true? Because i tried my cruise control and it does work so then it wouldn't be the sensor? Can someone let me know if this is true?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

Well, that should be almost true. The VSS creates the signal for both the speedometer & for the cruise control.

But maybe the cluster is OK but the signal doesn't get there. Check for loose connections behind the cluster?