General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Default Speedometer problem

Hello,

the speedometer in my car is suddenly acting up. It works intermittantly. I am driving on the interstate or anywhere and suddenly it will dip to zero, sometimes bouncing back to the speed right away and other times, it just stays back at zero no matter what my driving speed is. I wanted to search if anyone else had this problem on this forum, but search yields zero results. also, I heard that if I am to get it fixed, I have to have it fixed from a certified Honda dealer otherwise it becomes a federal crime. Is that true?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Default RE: Speedometer problem

Check to see if the cruise control works when the speedometer is not working. Is there a check engine light on? I have never heard of it being a "federal crime" if you don't get it fixed at a dealership. I think someone is pulling your chain there. Any speedometer shop should be just fine (if the problem is the speedometer - it could be the Vehicle Speed Sensor - that's why i am asking you if the cruise works)

Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: abhijitgp

Hello,

the speedometer in my car is suddenly acting up. It works intermittantly. I am driving on the interstate or anywhere and suddenly it will dip to zero, sometimes bouncing back to the speed right away and other times, it just stays back at zero no matter what my driving speed is. I wanted to search if anyone else had this problem on this forum, but search yields zero results. also, I heard that if I am to get it fixed, I have to have it fixed from a certified Honda dealer otherwise it becomes a federal crime. Is that true?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Have you thought about calling your Honda Dealer to ask this same question? I would start there before you end up with a speeding ticket for waiting too long to fix it..

Old 06-02-2008, 03:05 PM

funny mine does the same thing, i bang it sometimes and it jumps back up, or it jumps at the red light?
sometime it comes back after a while, my cruise control stopped working after a while and then magically worked in a few days. ???? im confused.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 PM

If your cruise control works but speedometer acting up randomly you will need a new Speedometer cluster. Not a very rare problem with Accord

Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Try checking the connection on the Vehicle Speed Sensor, I had the same problem, if its just lose it won't throw a check engine light nless it completely stops working. Make sure everything is fine there before you go replacing anything. Its almost right below the rad hose and thermostat and has power steering lines connected to it.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 PM

Sorry for not posting any replies about suggestions to my speedometer issue. A couple days after I posted it, it randomly started working fine and was not acting up until a week ago. When I watched it carefully, I noticed that when the speedometer drops to 0 while the car is running, the odometer stops too, thus giving me false result about the distance I traveled too. I need to check if affects the display of total number of miles the car has in its life.
Another thing is if the road is straight and speedometer drops to zero, it stays there for a while, sometimes as long as 20-30 mins, which when I realized the odometer stops too. However, if I am driving in city and making lot of turns, it is very likely that speedometer jumps back to right speed after the turn is complete. I dont know if it is the right turn or left turn that brings the needle back.
Also, one more question... how much does the speedometer cost if I am to replace the cluster?

thanks