General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

squeak coming from engine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Default squeak coming from engine?

To try and be more precise...

If the car is in drive and im at a stop, everytime i tap the pedal slightly like at a drive through, i hear a quick squeak.*doesnt make the noise if in neutral
Also, when driving and go over bumps or pot holes i hear the same squeak but louder, and it seems to be coming from the front right.

*steering is fine, doesnt pull and isnt hard to control, could it be a lower ball joint?
*doesnt have to do with acceleration, as it doesnt make the noise when i gas in neutral or parked
* no documents on belts being changed, at 130k miles, but the squeaks would be consistant?

Havnt had the time to investigate yet but my guess is going to be part of the suspension. It started 3days ago and is easy to reproduce if i want to.

**side not* was driving to a bar 3nights ago and hit a nasty pot hole on the front right wheel, kinda jerked the car as if i would of hit something, but theres no steering issues so i guess i kinda just need to look.

Thanks for any suggestions, its a 4cyl ulev sedan

Old 02-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

What year car?

In drive, stopped, & you tap the pedal... Which pedal?

Suspension noises... Can you reproduce it by bouncing the car when the engine is turned off?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

it started 3 days ago and 3 nights ago you were going to a bar....hmmmm

Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM

its a 1998 hoda accord ex ulev.

taping the gas pedal while in drive i hear it

dont hear anything when pushing down on the front right/left side

going over bumps it sounds like something is scraping, perhaps my intake isnt mounted anymore, and when you gas it would shake the intake also.

going outside since its not raining today to check it out so ill let you know what ican find 0.0

Old 02-26-2013, 02:01 PM

mkay soooo... the sound can only be reproduced after about 20minutes+ of driving when the entire bay is warmed up. the sound thats making the sqeak is a metal rubbing metal sound and it seriously makes me think of the intake rubbing, because i used to have a cold air jerry rigged and it would rub against the frame sometimes. but the current short ram is mounted tight and there is no room for play.

the car can drive on any road w/o bumps and there is no sound, so the vibrations of a noticable bump is whats making the rubbing.

the only thing i can think of.. is theres the metal AC line? right under part of the intake before the battery which can almost touch but doesnt. but the sound is a rubbing up/down and not a tap from top/bottum.

any ideas?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:20 AM

figured out my own problem as suspected lol.

the way my intake sits is ontop of what i believe is the ac lines which is metal piping. my current intake is actually bolted to part of the frame but where the intake meets the throttle body, from kicking 7k rpms often after the entire engine bay warms up,the actual piping is coming lose and rubbing when i hit bumps and tap the gas