General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

squeak when going up/down hill

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
Default squeak when going up/down hill

96 Accord 2.2L automatic

Started having a squeaking sound when going up a small incline, as well as down the other side usually when going about 20mph. It also doesn't happen all the time. It doesnt sound like a belt or suspension and it doesn't sound like the typical transmission noise like the one you get when you put the car in reverse. Its more squeaky in nature. It will last about 5 seconds. It sounds like its coming from the bottom of the car.

I recently changed the transmission fluid 2 drains and refills. The noise may have started around this time Im not sure my wife ignored the noise for a bit I think. I also tried to charge the A/C system when I say try the clutch engaged and made a really bad noise and started to burn up, so I shut the A/C off and it disengaged pulley moves freely I disconnected the compressor so it wont engage. I think these two items are unrelated to the noise but you never know.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? other then wait until it gets worse. Its still pretty infrequent and not that loud.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web.

With the a/c noise, it is possible that the bearing the compressor pulley is on its way out. You should be able to remove the belt on the compressor and alternator and try to spin the a/c pulley to see if the bearing is rumbling or not spinning smoothly.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Noises are tough to diagnose over the web.

With the a/c noise, it is possible that the bearing the compressor pulley is on its way out. You should be able to remove the belt on the compressor and alternator and try to spin the a/c pulley to see if the bearing is rumbling or not spinning smoothly.
I gave that a try, I pulled the belt on the compressor/alternator and spun both they both spin freely no squeaks or grinding. It doesn't make the sound when idling so I don't think that would be it.

Strangely the squeak happens on the exact same stretch of road each time. Its happened elsewhere but rarely. Something about the slight incline and decline which sets it off. It also never happens when I drive only my wife. ( I had it happen to me once otherwise I would discount it )

I added about 3/4 cup of transmission fluid, it was just slightly below the full level. I had read somewhere about strange noises resulting from not enough transmission fluid. Although it was well within the operating range, we shall see.

Last edited by moey; 06-18-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

How old is the belt? You have it off, why not a new one and set the proper tension and "see" if the noise goes away????

Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
How old is the belt? You have it off, why not a new one and set the proper tension and "see" if the noise goes away????
The belt is only a year old, about 8k miles on it. The sound doesn't really match that of a belt noise either.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Ok I finally heard this for a extended period of time, I was driving about 25 mph flat road and it lasted for about 30 seconds. It sounds like its coming from the driver side front wheel. It doesnt have the sound of a belt and Ive tried to reproduce the sound with the car idling and havent been able to. Im going to inspect the brakes for any thing odd this weekend. Im leaning towards thinking the wheel bearing may be starting to fail, but Ive listened to a bunch of the videos online for a bad wheel bearing and they all have some type of grinding associated with them.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 AM

replaced the driver side wheel bearing and new rotor and brakes. I think it may have been the rotor being warped the bearing seemed fine but with the whole knuckle off the car and the races separated it didnt make much sense to put it back on so I replaced the bearing as well. Original rotors and bearings with 180k on them.

I thought the caliper may have been acting up as at one point I couldn't spin the rotor when I looked at the brakes, but I think this may have actually been when the rotor came around to a warped part. So far so good no noises. I havent seen any problems with the caliper I jacked the car up a couple times after replacing everything and it spun fine, as well as testing it with the wheel off.

What a pain of a job though, several snapped bolts getting the wheel bearing out. Now I just have to get the ambition up to do the other side as the car now has a new rotor on one side and a old one on the other.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:41 PM
Default Hey!!

I am currently having this problem!!! Today I went to go fix the squeaking/squealing when going on decline, bendy road, they said it was my sway bar links, so 200 dollars later they replaced them, went down the same road and the squeak remains! Could it be my rotor??? Please help!

2013 Ford Fiesta

Old 06-23-2021, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web. You or a shop will need to pinpoint the noise when the car is on the ground and not moving. You can bounce the suspension to see if you still have a noise. Look for red dust around bolts and suspension components for potential signs of metal rubbing against metal.