General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squealing PS Belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Squealing PS Belt

I originally posted this problem in Sept. '07 and it has defied all my attempts to fix it.

My son's 92 Accord DX squeals loudly on startup (only when sitting overnight or for a long time). If you restart while theverything is warmed up there's NO NOISE. No difference winter or summer. I know it's the PS belt because all's quite with the belt removed.

Here's what I've tried so far: Replaced the belt twice with very short lived success. Belt dressing ditto. Tightening the belt, too many times to list, with short lived success.

I also swapped out the PS pump, with no difference.

I'm starting to wonder if there is some sort of relief valve or filter somewhere else in the system that hangs up when "cold". The PS works perfectly.

Any ideas would be welcome

Rich

Old 07-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have a startup squeal that comes and goes, but I finally isolated to the starter. It sounds just like a belt; a loud screech as starter engages. If you're sure it goes away when PS belt is removed, then PS is problem. I mention this because I initially was certain the noise was coming from PS belt, but found that I still had noise w/ both PS and AC belts removed.

Have you tried a shorter belt. I've had one PS belt that was slightly too long and adjuster ran out of travel. I got a PS belt 1-inch shorter which made it hard to get on, but allowed tightening before adjuster hit the stop.

One other possibility is the harmonic balancer pulley section is slipping at the bushing between the pulleys and the inner timing belt drive section. This might make noise like a slipping belt. Mark a radial black line w/ black marker across the pulley and bushing and see if part of the line begins to slip around circumferentially.

good luck