General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

TDC (Top Dead Center)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Question TDC (Top Dead Center)

I am trying to find TDC to remove the cylinder head. I have taken and rotated teh crankshaft to the single notch but looking at the camshaft it dont look like the camshaft is lined up right. I dont have or just cant spot the marks on the left and right that line up with the cylinder head but the work "UP" is pointing in th upward direction. Im not sure if its dead on the two lines though. Should it be TDC if I have the crankshaft lined up?

Old 07-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There are several alignment marks for the camshaft. There are horizontal marks on the cogs at the correct position to align the marks w/ top of cylinder head. There is a mark on the camshaft that will align w/ a notch in the camshaft bearing housing, and finally there is the "Up" on one of the radial legs of the camshaft sprocket which should be pointed up.

If camshaft is aligned, and timing belt is intact, the crankshaft should align. You should be able to see the timing pointer pointing to ~ 0 degrees (TDC) on the crankshaft pulley.

This is all in manual. Read manual carefully.

good luck

Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Yes, the belt is on and I have taken and lined up the crankshaft to the single notch. However, when I look at the camshaft Im not sure if it is lined up. I dont spot the horizontal marks. I guess what Im asking is do I have to line up both the crankshaft and the camshaft or is I line one with the other line up with it? The word UP is point in an upward posison but I cant see the lines so Im not sure if the camshaft is TDC but the crankshaft is on the notch.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:21 PM

If you only align one, align the crankshaft. After removing timing belt, you can reposition the camshaft to correct alignment w/ new belt. Camshaft sprocket horizontal alignment notches are between the cogs of the camshaft sprocket; a short straight line. See manual illustration.

What matters is final alignment w/ timing belt connecting both. You may wind up w/ 1/2 cog on camshaft one way or other. I have not tried to adjust beyond this accuracy.

good luck

Old 07-04-2009, 07:04 PM

Thanks, I good knowing that I have the crankshaft aligned then. Does anyone know how messy this is? I mean should or do I have to drain the oil? I live in an appartment complex and they throw a fit if I even check my oil god forbid I pull the head and have a spill, lol.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:07 PM

You may spill a little coolant, but shouldn't spill significant oil. There may be a few drops get away when you lift the head off. Get some large boxes and open them flat. Postion engine compartment over them to provide a drip guard.

good luck

Old 07-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Thanks just asking cause I pulled the distributor off and It started to drip so I was thinking, oh no! I have go almost everything dont just have to get the mount under the car and the belts, alt, and power steering. God I hope this is the issue. I am going to be so pissed off if I pull this da head and nothing be wrong with it. But it will give me a chance to clean it up real good it not, lol.