General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squek after timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Default Squek after timing belt replacement

OK so I got my timing belt and all the kit replaced 2 days ago. It's running fine no leaks or any issues like that, but it's making an odd squeak at idle as well as driving down the road. I am going to stop by the mechanics place Monday morning on my way to work and I already spoke with him on the phone. He told me it's not anything major wrong, and he almost is sure he needs to adjust the tension on one of the belts as it is belt slippage. He told me to turn the headlights on and off and see if the squek goes away when the alternator has a load on it and it kinda goes away but not totally.

This is the first time I have used this mechanic but he has done work for friends of mine for a long time and comes with a very high reputation. I don't think he is trying to rip me off or lie to me, but is his feedback legit or is there something else I might be looking for?

Any feedback on this is appreciated.

Thanks!

1997 Honda Accord SE 4 Banger Automatic

Old 12-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Squek after timing belt replacement

take it back to the same guy, have him chk his work and fix what might be causing the problem,, could be a t-belt or balancer belt adjustment or p/s alt belt adjustment ,, if he is a reputable guy i am sure he will fix it properly no matter what it takes ..

also have him make sure that nothing is rubbing on the cover ,, i have seen a few times that you you don't reinstall the rubber o-ring retainer at the t-belt adjuster nut, the lower cover can bulge out a bit and rub on the alt belt causing a noise ......
like i said if he is a good reputable tech i am sure he will ( should ) chk all the work he did

Old 12-09-2006, 04:24 PM

I will be doing that, thanks for the feedback. I'll post more if he can't figure out the problem but I'm sure it will be ok.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Screw that stupid rubber 'o'ring at the adjuster nut; I've been replacing them for years with a 3/4" 'E' clip from any hardware store. That will hold the cover in place long after the 'o'ring has rotted or stretched out of shape. [sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 12-09-2006, 09:17 PM

amen hondadude..I did the same exact thing when I replaced my timing belt this last time, and to my surprise it was a lot easier to adjust the tensioner after getting rid of that o-ring.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:26 PM

OK so to update this situation I took it back to him this morning and he looked and listened to it. He said it was the belt itself and that this squek was normal and should go away when the belt loosens up and "seats" itself. He did not adjust the tension on it and said everything looks and sounds good, the belt is just making some noise because it is new and it should go away afrer about a week or two of driving. It is a minor squek, not like a frigin sewing machine going down the road, and I may be the only one that notices it.

I'm kinda stuck here. This guy is a great mechanic and comes VERY highly reccomended from guys that know a ton more about cars and trucks than I do. He's been in the business for a long time so I don't know why on earth he would lie to me, he's not getting anything out of it.

Is this all adding up or do I need to go to another mechanic to get it looked at, or should I just drive it and see if his story pans out over the next week?

I wonder if belt dressing would help?

This sucks.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

typically,, belts will tend to loosen up a bit after a while.. but having siad so, if it is the timing belt or the balancer that is making the noise ( too tight ) , he can easily readjust it .. it would take no longer than 15 minutes .. loosen up the adjuster nut,, turn the crank clockwise than counterclock wise and retighten the nut .......
I do not feel that he is lying to you purposely .. but i feel that he should have readjusted the belts if that is the problem and it is noisy,,