General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Squeal after timing belt replacement 1990 EXR

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Squeal after timing belt replacement 1990 EXR

Good morning!

I recently had my timing belt replaced just before 200,000 KM and noticed right away that there was a squeal around 1700-2000 RPM after the engine was totally warmed up.

One mechanic can't hear it (hearing loss I think) the other can hear it but says it should go away, but it hasn't after 500+km.

It isn't loud — probably you wouldn't notice it if you weren't the car's owner, but it is there and causing me a little worry. Is this kind of thing common and anything to really be concerned about or should I just live with it? Is it easy to adjust the tension on the timing belt?

Thanks for any help, Steve

Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Timing belt doesn't slip, but bearings on tensioners could make noise if too tightly adjusted and/or are worn out. Many replace tensioner/idlers w/ new when TB job is done.

Given consequences of failure (damaged valve train and possible pistion damage), I would insist the shop that did the work make repairs. You may have to pay for new tensioner assy.

good luck

Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Probably they should first rule out the external belts as a source for the noise. Those external belts have to be removed to get the timing belt. Were new external belts installed?

The waterpump is driven by the timing belt. Engine can run without any external accessories (alternator, PS, AC). So you can remove both external belts and see if the noise is still there.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Check your tension on the power stearing belt and also alternator belt. Sometimes shops forget to tighten the tension bolts because the power stearing pump moves to adjust the tension. Also the alternator does the same thing to adjust the belt. The belt shouldn't move more then half an inch when putting your finger on it in the middle . Also if u recently had a fuel filter replaced . Sometimes they don't always get bolted back down because they are hard to get to and they lay against the inner metal fender and the bracket wears into the metal and sweaks just like a belt. I had that problem that drove me crazy right after I got my timing belt and fuel filter done. It worried me cause i thought it was the belt. Had a few friend have the same problem. Only learned from experience .But mine is alittle newer idk if the filter is in the same place

Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks. I took it in again and the shop owner took a drive with me and thinks it is probably the tensioner but wants to rule out the other belts first even though they were replaced a week after the timing belt and after I first noticed the noise. Sounds like he won't charge for labor if it is the tensioner.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Also, make sure that the small metal loop on the tensioner is installed onto the metal post on the engine block. This allows the tensioner to pivot properly.

The bolt holding the arm of the tensioner should be removed after the belt is installed.

Here is a thread where I posted a pic to explain.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-wobble-50516/