General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt Wobble?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Default Timing Belt Wobble?

Been having issue after issue it seems like. Now, it seems my timing belt is a bit wobbly? I don't know, because I haven't seen it for myself. My mechanic buddy has been doing the timing work on it for me but I still am not sure what to think. He implied something could be wrong with my tensioner? He wants the car out of his driveway and there's nothing else I can do to it to continue putting it back together until I know that this timing belt is okay to run with. He claims after we started it the first time with the new head on it skipped a tooth and he sense retimed it.

I don't ave much more money to sink into this thing, but I need it running. Is there anything else I should check out? Or do? I haven't done anything with the timing stuff on this car because I didn't want to make it need another head. He said that the tensioner pulley tensions two belts? I don't really know anymore, all help is appreciated.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Did the tensioners spin ok when you had them out, or did they make any noise? If yes, then you may want to replace them.

On that vehicle, there is a small peg that sticks out of the engine block.

On the tb tensioner pic below, the loop shown on the left side of that picture needs to go over that peg. Then the timing belt tensioner can pivot properly.

When finished, there should be no bolt in that slot on the far right of the picture. You use a bolt to hold that arm to remove tension to easily remove the belt. If there is a bolt holding that arm down on the right, then the tensioner is really disabled, so make sure to remove it.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:20 AM

I think it's a tensioner issue. There's little to no tension on the belt now /: I'll go pick another one up tonight.