General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SRS/CEL OBD 1 stuff... any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Arrow SRS/CEL OBD 1 stuff... any thoughts or suggestions?

I have a 95 Honda Accord LX with a 4 cylinder engine... obviously OBD 1. When I called the Honda service department, the guy told me I had an OBD II after I explained to him the things that I have written below. I also read out of the Haynes manual to him that it states that "The 1995 and later V6 and the 1996 and later four-cylinder models are equipped with the new OBDII diagnostic system." Hence, I have an OBD 1, lmao. After that, he told me that my little paper clip hookup to the 2 pin connector wasn't going to give me the CEL codes, and that i'd have to bring it there so they could hook up a computer reader to the 3 pin connector to get those codes. Is this true, or is he just trying to get $68 out of me for a reading?!

This is what I told him...
I got the SRS light to go off by using the paperclip/MES plug jump senario. Then I decided that I would really like to read all my codes that may be in the ECM. So I pulled the blue 2 wire plug deal, and shoved the paperclip into the blue connector.

1) Does the blue plug read ALL the computer codes, or solely the SRS codes? And if it only reads SRS codes, then how do I read all the computer codes (i.e. get the CEL blinking also)?

2) When I paper clipped the blue plug and turned the ignition, my SRS was flashing, as expected; it was flashing an unceasing stream of long blinks. Technically speaking, that doesn't even register as a code. So what the *&!$ does that mean?

3) The above mentioned in number 2 question was the second time I tried reading the codes. The first time I read the codes, my D4 was blinking 4 short, hence what I believe to be code #4 (CKP valve), and the SRS was blinking 5 long and 1 short, code #52. So how could it jump from this conclusion, to solely the SRS blinking nonstop? Could I possibly have a faulty ECM?

Thanks for whatever info any of y'all can throw my way...

Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

I moved your post into a new thread so it is less confusing and also so you can get more specific help.

Your car has both the 3-pin (3P) Data Link Connector (DLC) connector and the 2P Service Check Connector (the blue connector you jumped with a wire or small paper clip). Both can be used to retrieve trouble codes. They can be used to retrieve ECM, TCM, and SRS trouble codes.

The trouble codes that flash by jumping the 2P connector for the respective modules are determined based on the flashes for the respective indicator lamps:

• Engine Control Module (ECM) trouble codes, it would be the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) (aka Check Engine Light (CEL))
  • Transmission Control Module (TCM) trouble codes (automatic transmission), it would be the transmission D4 Indicator lamp
  • SRS trouble codes, it would the SRS Indicator lamp

4 flashes indicated on the D4 would be related to the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), connector, or wiring.

When the car is running, does the SRS light stay off?

Attached Thumbnails SRS/CEL OBD 1 stuff... any thoughts or suggestions?-dlc-scc.jpg  
Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Here's some pics. showing the separate modules. To clarify, the trouble codes for the separate modules can be retrieve from the same 2P Service Check Connector.

Attached Thumbnails SRS/CEL OBD 1 stuff... any thoughts or suggestions?-ecm-tcm.jpg   SRS/CEL OBD 1 stuff... any thoughts or suggestions?-srs-unit.jpg  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Thank you very much for your help, redbull-1! I figured out the problem. I've been working on my audio system for the car lately and I always disconnect the negative battery cable, which will reset the computer system, I believe. So having done this plenty of times and not really driving too much, I was wondering why the MIL was not flashing whatsoever, when I know that it's come up before when I've been driving. So upon driving for quite a while, I finally had the CEL light come on. I paperclipped the 2 wire blue connector, and lo and behold the MIL is reading a code #17 - VSS sensor (which i'd already ordered one off ebay about a week before I was trying to figure all of this out!). I did the paperclip ground in the yellow MES plug to reset the SRS, so that is why my SRS kept doing short flashes, and not giving me a code. Now that the SRS light has come back on, I get a code #51 - not sure what that is, and not sure how to address it. I have read something in one of these threads that say that the SRS system is always under warranty or something like that, no matter if you are not the original owner of the car. Is this true? Do you know anything about this? Lastly, the D4 light was flashing a code #4 (I think it might be some CKP sensor thing)... does this have anything to do with the VSS? I do know that the D4 originally started blinking when my VSS was going out - I was getting all kinds of funky speed readings on my speedometer! I guess i'll wait till I get my VSS in the mail from China (hey, it was only $8.10 on ebay... hope it lasts!), and we'll see what happens from there... Thanks again!

Damara

Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

The ECU and TCU have different sets of codes.

The ECU code 14 and the TCU code 4 are both indicating a problem with the VSS, or the wiring. Both the engine and transmission computer use the VSS, so that why both are giving codes.

A SRS code 5-1 means that there is a problem with the SRS computer. The lifetime warranty is on the seat belts, not the air bag system. It is likely that you would have to replace the SRS unit.