General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange air flow - Any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:47 AM
BLswag
Unregistered
Default Strange air flow - Any thoughts

I am new to the forum and I have a weird situation. I have a 2004 accord sedan and the ac blows ice cold through the passenger side air vents, but blows warm through the drivers side air vents it is not equipped with dual zone climate control. I even set the air flow to come through the floor board vents, the air on the passenger side is ice cold, the air on the drivers side is warm. The compressor seems to be engaging, i replaced the relays in the under hood fuse box( i changed three). Could this be an issue with the climate control panel? I am stumped. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Last edited by BLswag; 06-07-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have heard of this symptom arising due to low refrigerant charge, but never experience myself. The evaporator flow is low and becomes stratified, leading to cool air only over lower part of evaporator. This somehow causes air to vents to be separated into cold one side and hot on opposite side.

Only way to know for sure is to have AC pressures read (hi and low side) w/ a manifold gauge set by someone who understands what they should be. Also if refrigerant is low, it leaked out somewhere so check for leaks at connections, condensor face (rock puncture), and compressor rotating shaft seal.

good luck