General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

SRS Module help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Question SRS Module help please

My son purchased a family members 1996 Accord 2.2L Coupe. It was involved in a Front end hit. We replaced the Air Bags & SRS Module with used ones from a 1996 Accord 2.2L Sedan ( which are supposed to be the same) The Bags were identical,the Module looked different but plugged in.
After installation we had a constant SRS light. Could not get module to code out by shorting wires so sent out the original module to be reflashed. We then installed it & found the same issue,constant SRS light. Sent to a mechanic friend,he found a blown SRS fuse under the Dash ( i swear it wasn't blown before we were trying to retrieve the codes but anyway )
. After replacing the fuse he was able to get the module to code out,saying the module was faulty. We then tried the used module again ( now that the fuse was good) and found the same thing,blink code says faulty module. I find it hard to believe that the reflashed module & the used one both come up faulty. And am hesitant to buy a new one for $441.00 at the dealer. The only part of the SRs system which wasn't replaced was the Clock spring. Signed ...Confused in Connecticut...

Old 02-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Can you short out that connector under the glove box, turn the key to the II position, then count the SRS light flashes? Just want to make sure you have the correct information on the SRS code(s).

Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 AM

@PAhonda
Mechanic who has car said it came up 9-1 ,faulty SRS control module.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Are you sure you're resetting the SRS correctly? Excellent instructions at "http://www.ht-archive.com/showthread.php?p=40223951". It's quite a dance to get the timing down right.

I'm asking because the light on my car was on and I was getting a 9-1 too. I had removed/reinstalled the passenger seat and the light popped on. Not knowing that unplugging the seatbelt connector can cause the light to come on, I scanned for codes and up popped 9-1. Skeptical, I reset the system and the light's stayed off since.

The only part of the SRs system which wasn't replaced was the Clock spring.
Were both seat belt buckle switches replaced?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

At one point I forgot to plug back in my air bag. The SRS light turned on. When I plugged it back in, the SRS light remained turned on. I had to reset the SRS light.

Your code is for no power to the SRS module. This could be due to having a blown fuse that was replaced.

I would try resetting your SRS light. The hardest part will be finding the MES connector. It is a yellow electrical connector plugged into a dummy connector under the driver's dash board. It has only two wires going to it. The two wire colors will be grey/grey or white/black.

I attached a picture. The red arrow shows the location of the dummy connector. It is on the other side of that plastic panel where your left knee would be when sitting in the driver's seat. Do not use the electrical connector with two wires that is plugged into the fuse box.

Here is a thread about the reset in the DIY section:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...s-reset-31121/

This is from my shop manual.

After turning the ignition switch OFF, wait for ten seconds. Only then connect the SCS service connector to the memory erase signal (MES) connector. If you do not wait ten seconds, the SRS unit will not be completely reset and will not erase the DTC memory.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for ten seconds. Then disconnect the SCS service connector from the service check connector.

2. Connect the SCS service connector to the MES connector.

3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

4. The SRS indicator light comes on for about six seconds and goes off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector within four seconds after the SRS indicator light went off.

5. The SRS indicator light comes on again. Reconnect the SCS service connector to the MES connector within the four seconds after the SRS indicator light comes on.

6. The SRS indicator light goes off. Remove the SCS service connector from the MES connector within four seconds.

7. The SRS indicator light indicates that the memory is erased by blinking two times.

Attached Thumbnails SRS Module help please-mes.jpg