General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter problems, coolant spill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Default Starter problems, coolant spill?

Hi,

I have a 2004 Accord Sedan V6 model which was not starting. Battery was at 12.5 volts and the engine still wasn't turning over..

Anyways, I narrowed it down to a bad starter and proceeded to remove the starter. Detached the wires and took of the top mounting bolt. However, the bottom mounting bolt has been a real pain, and I've yet to be able to get it off...can't really get enough leverage to get it off....

Problem is, I removed the coolant hose going to the radiator to get some more room and just so happened to spill coolant in a few places (stupid, I know). My question is, once I get that bottom mounting bolt off and buy a new starter and reinstall it, is it ok that the coolant is everywhere, or will it be a fire hazard with the ignition, spark plugs, sparks coming off battery when it is reinstalled? Or am I just freaking out for no reason?

Any help is appreciated. Thank You

Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Coolant is not flammable. No danger.

I don't have a manual for your model, however some V6 engines (Acura TL's, etc) require removal of drive shaft to access the starter.

Another tool I've found to help is "wobbly extensions". These allow angular misalignment between extensions and extension-socket. This can make all the difference in some situations.

good luck