General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter relay

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Starter relay

OK in my book and here every one mentions the starter relay. My 94 ex will not start some times and other times it will. so i read here that their is a security module under the seat. But not sure if my 94 has it any ways . Can some one pin point out by pics where exactly were to find it. I think it has to do with ground some where.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Just to be certain you have a starter problem. Normally when you first turn the key to start the engine, the starter will spin the engine. When the engine fires up, this is when you release the key, because the engine running on its own.

So, when you are having the problem, does the starter spin the engine? Or does the engine not fire up?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well when it does not start by the key i go directly to the starter and jump the solenoid. and it starts all the time but it is embarrassing when in a public. other times a turn the key like 5 times and then it stars i allready swapped the the switch with a other one. and checked it with my meter and have continuity when its turned so the switch is out.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

You didn't answer my question. What exactly happens when you turn the key to the start position and the car will not start? See my first post.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When i first turn the key all the lights come on. and then nothing. so i turn it back and turn it again then it starts.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

So you turn to pos II/on and nothing or do you go all the way to start and nothing?

Key positions.

0 - Off = key comes out
1 - ACC = radio will play
2 - On = Blower motor inside the car works, cel should go thru bulb check
3 - Start = Starter motor turns the engine

Please don't think we are giving you the "run around", we really want to help.....we just have to fully understand the issue. Plus the more complex they get, well more of the fine details are needed.

Turn the key to on/pos II and pause. Does the cel go thru a check and go off...the oil and charge lights should come on and stay on. Do they?

Then try to start, watch the oil and charge lights and listen for the starter. If the oil light stays on but the starter does not spin/turn the motor let us know. If the oil light goes off and the starter does not spin/turn the engine over let us know that.

Have/can you test for voltage on the small wire - the one your are removing and jumping to the terminal it connected to - when you try to start the car? Might have to "peal" back the boot to get the meter/test light probe in there.

Not exactly sure where PA is going...have a good idea. Where I'm going is either a bad ground or a bad starter.....yes I know you jump the solenoid but the contacts in said solenoid can be going and the jump is helping them.

Power to the small wire when trying to start and the starter does not spin the motor over.....starter is going. Decision point - replace, rebuild.

To start and the oil and charge lights go off and nothing from the starter....check and clean the ground cables...battery end and where the ground connects to the body and trans.

Again, just me and what I'm thinking right now....sorry.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

I just wanted to make sure that the starter was not doing anything when the car was not starting.

Now we can assume that either the starter or the signal/circuit is the issue. You need to verify that the small wire is or is not getting 12V when your car will not start. Do you have a volt meter or a 12V test light?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Default Mine too

96 2.2 4 cyl coupe was running great except battery died and I replaced with a brand new one.
After a few days, starter does not crank at all.
Headlights work throughout no dimming.
Key in pos I - charger/battery light on dash - nothing else
Key in position II - no power windows work, no sun roof, no clock, no dash lights except charger/battery light. Blower fan works, and radio.
Key in position III - hear 1 click and charger/battery light goes out, blower fan, radio goes off. Headlights on throughout.
I jumped from positive on battery and to the ignition switch wire on the solenoid and it starts right up.
Can't get car out of gear without using the lock switch.
When car is running, still no windows/ sun roof, clock, dash lights.
Good continuity from ignition switch to fuse box in all positions.
Havent checked voltage from small wire to solenoid yet, but if the car starts from the battery, wouldn't the starter/solenoid be ok?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

"rob" - you might want to start a new thread.

Sounds like maybe two issues.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I just wanted to make sure that the starter was not doing anything when the car was not starting.

Now we can assume that either the starter or the signal/circuit is the issue. You need to verify that the small wire is or is not getting 12V when your car will not start. Do you have a volt meter or a 12V test light?
Ok its been a while sense i posted this question. But I did find the problem it was the starter after all. Did not want to believe it for a long time; because it was bought in autozone. But yes took it back after going back to square one on my trouble shooting. and it was a bad starter. thanx for the help