General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 AM
Default Starter Replacement

so my original starter finally gave up the ghost a few days back. just replaced the battery as well. I went to auto zone and bought a remanned starter, came home and installed it; this new starter hesitates almost like the battery is weak, and I'm getting a slight metallic chirping sound that wasn't there before. Did I get sold a faulty starter? do I need to shim it somehow?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM

If your connections are all clean and good,I would possibly take it back and ask for another one.It should not hesitate and with a good battery,should fire as soon as you turn the key.

You should have that lifetime warranty on it.Sometimes they will test it on the bench machine and it might pass,but in the car,its under a different load,etc.

Without hearing the noise,I cant say it needs shimming or not.

PS,AZ starters are junk.I went through them like candy on another car,I dont use them anymore,I take my alternators and starters to the Shop in town that rebuilds them.Never had to take one back to the starter shop.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM

I am also hearing what sounds like metal scraping.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by 96FiveSpeed
PS,AZ starters are junk.I went through them like candy on another car,I dont use them anymore,

I take my alternators and starters to the Shop in town that rebuilds them.Never had to take one back to the starter shop.
Agree, unreliable - also Oreilly's, in my experience.
So rebuild from local shop, or buy from NAPA, or Honda.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM

I wish I had a shop around my area that would rebuild my old one. Alas I have to use a parts store, I have the big 4 Advance, AZ, Oreilly, and NAPA

Old 02-28-2014, 03:34 PM

How about Pep boys? would one from there be good?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I go to NAPA, sometimes they have two grades of parts separated by about $25 (ask, once I waited 3 days to get the higher grade shipped in).
If it's true of your car's starter, get the higher priced grade.

'Cuz I drive to remote areas, trailheads, etc. and arrive back sometimes after dark.
Alone. No cell service. I need to know the car will start or I won't enjoy the hike.
NAPA or dealer parts have worked for me, so far ... always.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 AM

if its a denso starter more times than none you just need to replace the starter contacts ... "larry b's starter contacts" sells em ... im more interested in what your entire symptoms were before replacing your starter

Old 03-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I ALWAYS try to buy factory parts for all my vehicles.when the starter went out in my wifes accord I called Honda it was going to be 380.00 new,270.00 my cost. AAAA no, I had to go to advance,100.00 even our cost with a life time warranty. I agree with everyone that aftermarket parts aren't like factory but I just couldn't shell out almost 200 more dollars.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:02 PM

the car ran and started normally, nothing out of the ordinary. I come out of the store and get a solenoid click with nothing else. Bought a NAPA starter, still getting what sounds like a slight metallic grind, and really sluggish starting.. almost like it spins the flywheel, releases, then spins it again and the car starts. I'm about to go get one out of a salvage yard and see what that does.

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement