General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Starter won't disengage

Old 07-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Default Starter won't disengage

Greetings all,

Quick Summary: 1992 Honda Accord LX manual tranny. Starter won't disengage after car starts, have to pull the battery cable to get it to stop. From what I have gathered this means it the starter has a bad solenoid.

I was wondering if I could disconnect the power to the starter and start the car by coasting it down a hill and putting it into gear to test if it is a running car before I started investing time and money in a new solenoid/starter?

Or would the starter still be engaged and I could risk damage to the flywheel?

-------------------
Backstory:
I am about to go pick up a 1992 Honda Accord LX, manual transmission. The person I am buying it from says he ran it out of gas, tried to start it over and over (I guess not knowing it was out of gas? Kind of getting mixed feelings that his story isn't complete). Then he had it towed to his house.

He said he then put gas it in it, and went to start the car. He said it started and the engine ran but the starter would not disengage and he had to pull the battery cable to get it to stop cranking.

I have spent many hours searching and I just haven't found many people with this scenario occurring.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-13-2012, 03:43 PM

Could it be possible that the timing belt broke and is causing this sort of a problem?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If timing belt broke engine would not run at all.

Replace the starter and hope the flywheel is not damaged. You can inspect flywheel w/ starter removed by turning engine over from crankshaft pulley bolt.

good luck

Old 07-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

"Sometimes" you can get away with cleaning and lubing the bendix.....

If it is a manual, yes you can "push start" the car.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Poorman,

Would I have to take the starter off?

Since it was stuck in the engaged position, if I just disconnected the power would the Bendix still be in the outward position and engaged onto the flywheel?

I have heard you can tap the starter and possibly get it to disengage, but I wouldn't know for sure it was disengaged until I tried to start it right?

Also, will disconnecting the power to the starter have any effect on the running of the vehicle?

Is it possible to get the starter off the car from the top (without jacking it up)? What I have gathered is there are 2 bolts, 1 on the top and 1 on the bottom that hold the assembly in, and you disconnect those two and the power/wiring and it comes out?

Last question, does anyone know of a place that has a removal guide for the starter. I downloaded a service manual for a 91 but it doesn't mention the starter anywhere and other than that I have just found generic starter removal guides.

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

To fix or resolve the issue the starter is going to have to come off.....

Try removing the small wire (spade terminal) to the starter and push starting it. If that does not work then remove the "big" wire.....just be sure to tape or protect the end of that wire.....as it is "Hot" at all time so if it touches ground....well you have a short.

Removing the starter from the top is normal.....now one of the bolts (bottom) is kind of "blind" meaning you really don't see it....just kind of find/feel it and the remove. But nothing where the car has to be in the air.....nothing gained here as the case of the trans is in the way..........from under the hood.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks poorman, please have patience with me. This is my first 'project' car. I have my dad helping me out, but he has experience with old domestic vehicles mostly.

I am afraid if try to push start it with the starter not removed and the power disconnected from it that the bendix will still be engaged I could damage the flywheel and or fry the starter if it is still good. Or would it be likely the bendix would retract on its own if there was no power to the starter?

Old 07-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Since it "stopped" when the cable was pulled.....either the small or large cable to the starter.

So if both are off the starter, then noise should be gone-same as removing the battery cables, then "push start the car and get it "home".

EDIT: And I lkike the old domestic cars as well .....the Chevelle and I have our fun. The Accords are for day to day stuff

Last edited by poorman212; 07-15-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

If you are going to disconnect the electrical connectors from the starter, first disconnect the battery.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:11 PM

I was definitely planning on disconnecting the battery before touching the starter haha.

I was trying to say that the only way to get the car to stop cranking was to remove the battery cable, this is per the last owner. And the lead missing on the battery post lends toward him telling the truth I think.

We towed the car to my house since my last post. My dad tapped on the starter and tryed the battery cable and it immediately began sparking.

My thing about removing the power from the starter is I thought there was a spring in the starter that retracts the bendix from the flywheel? If I just remove the power, won't the bendix still be locked in to the flywheel?

Or do you think that the bendix is possibly not locked out and the problem is something else? Like melted contacts that are allowing constant flow and as soon as the power is removed the bendix retracts?

Sorry if I am not being clear, like I said, I am certainly no mechanic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter won't disengage