General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering/stability issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 PM
Default Steering/stability issues?

Hi, We've got an '07 Accord that my wife wrecked once ...right front tire folded underneath from an impact with a telephone pole. Obviously a lot of work was done, but I'm not sure what. The car is fine around town in general, but I notice a tendency to oversteer, a tendency for the front end to wander a little (like a worn front end does - loose steering type of feeling), and when accelerating, it'll pull to the right. I'd be surprised if Honda designed a car that would pull to either side when accelerating. The car only has 70k miles on it, all pavement, mostly city. Since we live in Alaska, and drive on a lot of black ice, the oversteer and tendency for the rear end to want to 'come around' is a safety issue.

- It drives like it has loose tie rod ends (etc) ...but the car is relatively young?

- Pulling to one side when accelerating - seems like something's missing? Steering stabilizer of some sort?

Anyone? I might take it to a shop, say nothing about accidents, and let them find what's wrong ...Hopefully it's not a unibody thing (these are unibody cars, right?)

Thx,
Brian

Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest having alignment checked. Alignment error might cause oversteer (tendency to keep turning more than commanded) due to damage that was not correctly repaired.

good luck

Old 12-28-2014, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW, here are some Honda service bulletins to give insight regarding probable causes, not including front suspension damage that the car may have:

Honda TSB 06-068
SYMPTOM
While driving on a straight road, the vehicle pulls or drifts to the right or left.

PROBABLE CAUSES
Several conditions can cause the vehicle to pull or drift:
• Wheel alignment
• Tires
• Steering wheel off-center (no pulling or drifting, but a customer may believe this is the case)

Honda TSB 03-036
SYMPTOM
The vehicle drifts to the right at highway speeds.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The camber settings are uneven.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Shift the front subframe to the right.