General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Cruise/Stereo Controls Not Functioning

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Default Steering Wheel Cruise/Stereo Controls Not Functioning

Hey guys,

I have a 2005 Accord, 4 cyl/auto. Just bought the car about a month ago from a friend of the family. The car has 22k miles (no, that's not a typo).

I didn't realize it before, but my wife pointed out just before we left on a 500 mile drive last week that the controls for the cruise control and stereo aren't functioning. She'd only been driving it about a week prior to this. None of the buttons respond when pressed, no cruise light on the dash, no audio control... nothing.

I've checked every last fuse under the dash and under the hood. I have not take the steering wheel apart yet. I briefly looked at the plugs under the steering column but figured I should ask folks who know Hondas before I go digging.

Anyone else have this problem and find a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Does the horn work?

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 PM

my apologies... I should have listed that.

Yes, the horn works.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

I would suggest getting a shop manual for your accord. I got one from Ebay for $22 from automanualsource. It is well worth the investment.

You will need a volt meter to test for power or ground at those switches. That is where the shop manual with the wiring diagram will help. I would also test the cable reel.

Another simple test to try is to hold down on the horn, then see if the cruise control or the volume control buttons work. This test would work on older accords to supply a ground to get around a bad cable reel. Not sure if it will work on newer ones. It is a pretty simple test and worth a shot.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 PM

Yeah, I surely need to track down a manual for the car.

Tried the horn in conjunction with the steering wheel controls, no dice. Going to tear into it tonight to see if I can find a connection that's not seated, bad ground, etc.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would suggest getting a shop manual for your accord. I got one from Ebay for $22 from automanualsource. It is well worth the investment.

You will need a volt meter to test for power or ground at those switches. That is where the shop manual with the wiring diagram will help. I would also test the cable reel.

Another simple test to try is to hold down on the horn, then see if the cruise control or the volume control buttons work. This test would work on older accords to supply a ground to get around a bad cable reel. Not sure if it will work on newer ones. It is a pretty simple test and worth a shot.

Hey PAHonda...

So it's been a (long) while and I was lazy... never got around to checking the clocking spring/cable reel. The wife took the car into Desert Honda here in LV for an unrelated recall and had them poke around the steering wheel controls. Sure enough, they say cable reel... $497 is their price to fix it.

My questions for you are, do you happen to know where I can source one? Price range for the part(s) needed? Also steps to r&r?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!