General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

steering wheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Default steering wheel removal

i have a 91 lx and was needing to remove the steering wheel can someone help me out?

Old 07-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: steering wheel removal

ORIGINAL: abelh7

i have a 91 lx and was needing to remove the steering wheel can someone help me out?
FIRST off make sure the wheels are straight especially if car has air bags

I cannot recal if your car has air bag or not ...........If no air bag it is very simple. pry put the center piece and remove the 19 mm nut . careful when you pull it out . there are some wires behing it

If it has air bags ,,,, FIRST thing you do ,,DISCONNECT THE BATTERY , make sure you have the radio code if it is anti-theft radio........Once battery is disconnected.. on the underside of the steering wheel, there is a little cap, remove the screw, inside it there is the air gag plug, disconnect it, also there is a connector in the cover, you need to install it on the air bag side of the connector,,,, Once done ,, you need a TORX socket , there are 2 bolts on either side of the steering wheel, remove the covers and you will see the bolts, remove the bolts, remove the air bad,, place the air bag in a safe place WITH THE CUSHION PART UP..........
remove the center nut , again make sure wheels are straight , pull up on it slowly and part way disconnect the wiring behind the steering wheel , you can remove it now,,

Install in rerverse order .........Any questions , Holler ..

Old 07-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Default RE: steering wheel removal

hey thanks, you would'nt believe what i been doing to try to figure it out. the resone for removing is that my horn does not work and i could see that someone cut the wire so i was trying to get to it to reconnect it.

now i am going to attempt to do an egr port cleaning hope i dont mess anything up i read the DIY on how to do it so i think i will be fine. now i just need to get a slide hammer well see.