General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel shaking @ stop/reverse AND gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Itzomi
Unregistered
Default Steering wheel shaking @ stop/reverse AND gear issues

Hello!

My beloved '92 Honda Accord has been a gem. I took it in recently for regular maintenance - a Sears 12-point Inspection which ended up costing $577. It was working great when I took it in, just wanted to be safe.

Well, ever since I've gotten it back, 2 things have been happening:

1. The steering wheel shakes while at stoplights and in reverse.

2. When I have it in D3 for around town, it feels slightly like I'm driving in a lower gear. Just doesn't "feel right," but might not be noticeable to someone who's driving it for the first time.

My BFtook it back to Sears, had to wait 2 hours, only to be told they couldn't find a problem and, basically, it couldn't have been their fault.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? I've done an internet search for the vibrating issue, and have been confused by all the different answers, but am hoping since BOTH things are happening simultaneously, someone can narrow it down for me as to what might be wrong.

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Steering wheel shaking @ stop/reverse AND gear issues

What did Sears actually do to your car?

With problems vibrating at a stop and reverse, it sounds like a problem with a motor or tranny mount.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Itzomi
Unregistered

I was afraid I was going to be asked that... LOL. I don't know exactly, they explained it butit's allGreek to me. (Luckily my BF was there to take it all in.) I know they worked on the alignment and put on 4 new tires, and other things which I don't know. It was just regular maintenance-type stuff.

I'm so sorry I'm not of much help!! In my internet searches I do remember reading something about "motor mounts" for the shaking, but could that cause the car to feel like it's driving in a lower gear as well?

Thank you so, so much. Trying to get someone who can look at it tonight but so far, no luck. Not sure if it's safe to continue to drive?! Hence, my desperation to find an answer!! I don't want to be stuck anywhere - it's not safe where I live for a female to be alone.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Tires and an alignment will not cause your car to shake when you are at a stop. Your car may drive differently with your new tires and may be the problem you feel with your transmission.

If you find the bill/invoice from sears, they should have all of that information on there. Post what they did, and we can give you better information.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Itzomi
Unregistered

Sounds like a plan! Car's at home (receipt in glove compartment), got a ride to work, so will check after I get home. Thanks!!!

Oh, I called BF and he said Sears checked the Motor mounts and everything was fine. *scratches head*

Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Itzomi
Unregistered

Hello again!

I found someone who could look at it last night, so I took it in. It's still in the shop, but we were told that it was a worn motor mount and...oh, gosh...that container-looking thing that you plug 4 things into...it's leaking oil out of 2 of the plugs, so it has something todo with sparks not firing. Oh, the carburetor is what I meant (by container-looking thing)!! He said it was not Sears' fault, so it's just a coincidence. Still, Sears overlooked some things in their "Inspection" - my brake fluid was low and my transmission fluid was old (dark/burnt-smelling).

Thanks so much for your help!! I really appreciate it!!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Typical ..... they will charge you for an inspection that is beneath them to actually complete.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Where are you located? USA Accord never had a carburated version in 1992.

As we get more detailed with helping you, we really need to know exactly what we are dealing with.