General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Default steering wheel vibration

there is something going on with my 93 accord ex with a A/T and i cant find anybody who can figure it out. My steering wheel starts to shake while braking from about 40-25 mph, and it only happens after i've been driving for about 20 minutes.( Like something has to get hot first) I recently had my captive rotors change because they were warped or had deposits causing pulsation. Evertyhing seemed to be fine after i had the work done but soon noticed the vibration in the steering wheel. I took the car back to the brake shop and told them what was happening. They took the car out for a test drive(and of course the steering wheel didn't shake) They then put the car on a lift and checked to see if the rotors had been installed correctly or if there was any run out on the new rotors. Everything checked out and i was told there was nothing wrong with the brakes. They told me if it was a brake issue i would be feeling the vibration all the time, and not just after the car had been running awhile. They did tell me they thought it might be a transmission issue. The tech noticed that my drive shaft had a lot of play in it and when they turned my wheels they could feel rough spots in the rotation.( He did tell me they checked the wheel bearings and they were fine)
So i then went to a transmission shop and told them what was going on. They took it for a test drive and the mechanic told me he didn't think it was a transmission issue. He did say the shifts in 1st and 2nd weren't perfect but that was to be expected with a 18 year old car. So here i am with no idea of what might be causing the vibration. Hopefully you guys have some ideas or better yet have experienced something similar

Old 03-25-2011, 04:17 PM

could it be something as simple as engine mounting? just a thought....

Old 03-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Go get your tires balanced.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:56 AM

just bought new bridgestone tires and had them balanced about 3 weeks ago. Also, steering wheel only vibrates while braking at low speeds and only after driving for a while. At high speeds car drives smoothly.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have a similar, but different issue. My 94EX vibrates under acceleration at about 2000 rpm primarily. It was doing same before replacing the front and rear mounts, and behavior is similar or worse afterwards. Both front and rear mounts were heavily damaged.

I suspect a bad CV axle, since the first I noticed was after replacing both axles, and before I replaced the mounts.

I don't drive the car regularly (spare backup car when I repair others), so I've put off further diagnostics, however I've thought of a method that may be able to distinguish between axle vibration and engine vibration.

Tie a strong small diameter rope to top secure spot on top side of engine, and route the rope from under the hood to driver's side window. Hold the rope taut while you initiate the condition leading to vibration. If motor mounts are the problem, you should be able to feel the vibrations through the string,... at least that's my hope. If cv axles, there should be little or no vibration through the string.

If you decide to try, I would appreciate some feedback.

good luck