General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stopping on the way

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Default stopping on the way

hello all, today my accord 98, 4cylinders, auto trans will just suddenly goes off on the highway but the light stays on, I am thinking probably is the plugs and I have not use the car for a week now because i have second honda accord car i am using. Any suggestion on what might be responsible for these problems? Hoping to hear from you guys. Thanks

Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

If I understand you correctly, the engine quits operating while on the highway; if so, then it isn't the spark plugs.

Have the OBD-II codes read at a car parts store to see if there are any fault codes which can help us diagnose the issue. Failing that I'm thinking this might be a heat related computer fault or a fuel delivery issue.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 AM

thanks to you shipo, if it is a problem coming from the fuel delivery system. how do we correct this quickly? Because as i told you before i don't use the car too often. I will quickly give it to the mechanic to check it out before using it to travel today. Any further suggestion from you will be helpful. Thanks

Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rilex
thanks to you shipo, if it is a problem coming from the fuel delivery system. how do we correct this quickly? Because as i told you before i don't use the car too often. I will quickly give it to the mechanic to check it out before using it to travel today. Any further suggestion from you will be helpful. Thanks
Until the codes are read any further speculation would be just that, speculation. Your mechanic should be able to quickly determine if there are any codes or of there is a fuel delivery issue.

Keep us posted on how you make out.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

If there are no error codes stored, then it might be caused by a flaky ignition switch. Normally, that causes all the warning lamps to go dark also, because it is EXACTLY like you switched off the key. But a flaky switch might act ...well, flaky.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM

I suspects is a flaky ignition switch because the next day the car didn't stop all the way and it droves smoothly. I was beginning to afraid that probably the fuel Injector is going bad or fuel pump. Any other things to lookout for such problems? Thanks

Old 05-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Normally if a bad fuel pump stops, it won't re-start unless you hit the bottom of the fuel tank with your fist.

IF you can duplicate the problem by wiggling the key, that proves it. HOWEVER, if you can't get it to stall by wiggling the key, that DOES NOT prove the switch is good. You can remove the plastic shroud around the steering column & look for anything suspicious on the switch (burn marks?)