General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

strange occurence

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Default strange occurence

2011 Honda accord V6EX has a strange new problem. When I turn on the right directional blinker while driving I feel a loss of power in the engine. Left directional blinker does not effect engine power. What could be the issue?

More information: My accord is a 2011 four door V6 EX sedan with 96,000 miles. On a recent long distance trip pulling a small trailer the directional and hazard lights stopped working. I went to a Honda dealer on my route and they replaced a fuse. Directionals and hazard then worked, but auto upon acceleration when the right directional is on loses power. This does not happen when left directional is on.It does happen when hazards are on also. Strange right? Trailer is off and problem continues. Normal acceleration when right blinker and hazard blinker is off.
Any ideas? Could it be another fuse?

Last edited by suealex11; 05-18-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Your issue is unusual, which probably will require a shop diagnosis by a technician.

1. The trailer lighting connector wire is part of the same green power wire that goes to the right rear turn signal. That wire is part of the turn signal hazard circuit, and comes from the driver's side multiplex integrated control unit (MICU) which is part of the driver's side under dash fuse/relay box.

I can't see how this may affect the engine power though, as the MICU doesn't control systems like the car's electronic throttle control system.

You may want to take a closer look at the green wire at the trailer lighting connector, for any chafing in the insulation where exposed wire may be touching the car's body, etc.

2. Just curious, does your car have paddle shifters on the steering wheel?

Last edited by redbull-1; 05-18-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 AM
Default strange occurrence

Thank you for the information. There are no shifting paddles on steering wheel unless you consider cruise control cruise part of that. Steering wheel does have cruise control plus volume control for radio. I will check out the green wire and post again.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Default strange Occurrence solved

The problem all stemmed from Uhaul, who installed the hitch for us, but did not secure the wiring correctly. It was left laying on the manifold and melted the wiring cover which cause wires to be exposed and touching metal so when the left blinker and hazards were turned on the electrical response was to decrease power.
Honda figured it out and $200 later(but it was worth it) I had a car that worked but the hitch box burned out also so no useable hitch for towing but I can use it for a bike rack. Honda said since hitch box was burned out they did not want to fool with replacement of it since it was a haul product and was under Uhaul warranty. Frankly, I do not want UHaul to touch my car again so I will pass on the replacement and have filed a claim with Uhauls insurance for Honda repair cost and to get re-embursed for faulty wiring and hitch box.
Hopefully I will get some money back on this fiasco.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting what happened.