General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange outcome from using seafoam.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Default Strange outcome from using seafoam.

Hello everyone. I used sea foam in my engine and oil (about 25 miles before changing it) as well as ran a can thru my gas tank when I filled up. Everything is running ok, but the result has me a bit confused. There are 2 things I noticed happened as a result.

1) The engine runs much cooler than normal, even after a long drive on the highway. It's roughly a quarter inch lower on the dial. I've never had an issue with overheating, and I wondered how on earth the sea foam could do this?

2) The RPM's dial "bounces" a lot more, like it revving easier. It's most noticable from the 1200 to 2000 range, it just rockets up on the dial, faster than when it was new.

The car I have is a 97 Accord SE 4 Banger auto with 201,000 miles on it.

Anyone have any feedback on why this happened, especially the one about running cooler?

I'm not complaining about the outcome of using the seafoam, just confused at those "symptoms".

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Supper Moderator

With that many miles I wouldn’t be putting sea foam in your oil be4 changing it. SOME TIMES older engines have old gummy oil that sticks to the seals inside the engine and keep them from going out from old age. Sometimes it better to leave that gunk on the seals b/c they will fail faster when striped of the gunk.
Did you put the sea foam in the gas tank and crank case?? Or did you run it into the break booster too?...if not

...Try putting some in your break booster. There will be a hose on your diviners side fire wall that goes from the break booster to the intake mani. Unplug the nipple from the break booster and take a skinny funnel and DRISSLE not poor the sea foam in the line. Or if you have a spray bottle works great it atomizes the sea foam be4 it even hits the intake mani. You don't want to use too much at one time. You car will start to smoke really bad if you have allot of carbon build up in the engine. Just take her around the block and beat on 2nd or 3rd gear wind it all the way out and then drive normal until the smoke clears.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

dont you want your car to run cooler?
and if the car is running easier isnt that a good thing too?