General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden decrease in speed while coasting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Sudden decrease in speed while coasting.

Is this normal?

So today I was rolling down a bridge in the '09, it's all downhill. So I'm coasting downhill no foot on gas at about 30-40mph in traffic. I'm traveling at a constant speed, then suddenly I feel a change in the speed like the brakes were pushed slightly (not jammed on) but I didn't touch the brakes. It's a sudden drop in speed which I have only felt about once or twice before. I thought maybe it's normal, but usually when I go down this hill it stays at the same speed. Otherwise in other situations when I let it coast to a stop it slows down gradually but it doesn't feel sudden like this.

There was no sound, no thump, nothing, just a drop in speed. The car almost feels like it's going to stop until I give it gas. Another thing is when this happens the RPM jumps up. From about 1000rpm it goes up to about 1700rpm.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Car is downshifting to lower gear, rpm's go up and w/ throttle closed some engine braking occurs. It may be normal.

good luck

Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

It's due to the grade logic, which is normal.

The 8th generation Accords (2008-2012) grade logic seems more noticeable than some early generation Accords as the rpms can climb up a bit and stay in certain gears longer. IMO, I noticed that after a transmission fluid drain and fill, it shifts better and the rpms doesn't climb as high and shifts quicker going downhill (e.g., car doesn't get slowed down as much going downhill). That's why I do frequent ATF fluid changes with Honda's DW-1 ATF.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I just looked up Grade Logic and it seems to make sense.

"The Grade Logic Control system differs from other computer-controlled shift programming because it can detect driving situations and then set appropriate shift points for the car. It helps your Accord avoid gear hunting on climbs and descents, and it downshifts for added engine braking when needed."

It explains why the car feels like I pushed the brakes, especially the fact that I was going downhill when this happened and not flat, duh! Thanks guys!