General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sump plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Default sump plug

Hi all, i'm picking up my brand new 2.4 accord 2morrow, i am wondering if the sump plug is magnetised, with all the crap rubbing off the cyl's and 'ends', and all the other bedding parts i reckon if there was a rare earth magnet in the end of the plug it would be benifitial. also is 1000 k's enuf to run it in. i suppose honda should getitright. and any usefull info will be apprieciated. Petmos

Old 01-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sump plug

You don't say what year car?? My 2003 USDMAccord 4-cyl K24 doesn't have a magnet on the engine oil drain. Actually none of the Hondas I've owned came with that.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

That's what oil filter does. I don't think it's necessary, but you can add a magnet. There are magnets you can obtain to go on the outside of the oil filter and "trap" those pesky steel wear products.

good luck

Old 01-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

interesting little tidbit of information,
on turbine engines there is a little plug that sits in the oil system with a magnetized center electrode, and the outside of it is connected to ground, similar to a spark plug. when chunks of metal bridge the gap between the outside and the center electrode it turns on a light in the cabin. Many of them also have an automatic or manual system where you push a button when the light turns on that send a high voltage current (like a spark plug) through the "chip detector" (thats what its called) to burn off the gray metallic sludge, so that you know when its just normal wear or if there is actually a chunk of a component that comes off. If it isnt sludge, that means a mandatory full teardown and rebuild of the engine. Why cars dont adopt chip detectors is beyond me, its an incredibly simple and cheap device that can warn you of a serious problem in your engine.

but seriously petmos, give us the year/make/model of your car. My 96 LX doesnt have a magnetized drain plug. The previous owner may have installed one though if you bought used. you can also buy them fairly cheaply.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Chip lights are used extensively in helicopters to worn of damaged transmissions, engines,and bearings. I suspect they are pretty expensive, but reason is you really want to know if th transmission that drives your rotor is failing before it completely siezes.

regards

Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Hi All, my brand new car is 2007,it's a2.4 petrol 95 ron here{ in Australia }it's called a Euro. it's a smaller body than USA model. anyway i reckon i'll stick a magnet in there 'cos it will keep the initial crude down were it safest. don't know any more about it yet, i have an accord '98 this ones for the lady, it's got a whole lot more stuff in it than mine,i'll be reading the book tonight. Happy Days Pete

Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Crude should have been crud.Pete

Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

Chip lights are used extensively in helicopters to worn of damaged transmissions, engines, and bearings. I suspect they are pretty expensive, but reason is you really want to know if th transmission that drives your rotor is failing before it completely siezes.

regards
actually they are very simple and inexpensive, its basically a spark plug, a light bulb, and a length of wire.

sorry to threadjack.