General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surging problem / misfire under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:38 AM
bedbaldo
Unregistered
Default Surging problem / misfire under acceleration

Hello there , im in the UK and have just got a 2000 model 1.8i vetec accord , and have a problem with the performance , it is not like a misfire but more of a surging sensation on a light throttle , it seems rotational if you will like it is firing on three and dropping on the fourth
also occasionally there is hesitancy when accelerating , bogging down then picking back up , im about to go over the obvious but the previous owner assures me the plugs , leads etc are all done , does it sound like the cap or something on the diagnostics side ? ,any thoughts appreciated .

Old 12-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Default RE: Surging problem / misfire under acceleration

well i really cant think of nothing else if the previuos owner aassueres you that the wires and plugs are good. Then just make sure the plug itself didnt somehow get lose. That happen to my broV6 once for some reason.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
bedbaldo
Unregistered

Just a bit of an update on te surge/ misfire on my 1.8 i vtec 4 cyl , i appear to have fixed it , arriving home on new years eve the car would not restart , the battery was totaly dead , got around to looking at it and using a voltmeter with the engine running gave a reading of 12.4 volts and gave no increase when a load was put on it ,it was not charging properly, so the battery had been ok in the summer but now it is colder and wetter here and all the lights are on , heater , demister etc , the battery had been slowly running down and gave up on new years eve [ just when i needed it ] , assuming it needed an alternator i priced one up at various places and got prices ranging between £104.00 and £144.00for an exchange unit here in the UK , a friend of mine looking at the alternatoritself and assessing the job of removing it pulled back the rubber boot covering the live connection on top of the alternator and spotted the plastic around the securing nut and wire terminal had melted , it was getting warm because the electrical connection was loose , taking it off and cleaning up the contacts , then tightening it up properly has restored the alternator performance , it now outputs 14.5 volts , furthermore the car now accelerates cleanly and does not surge or misfire anymore now it hasa constant supply of the the correct voltage .

Old 01-05-2007, 09:41 PM

Thanks for coming back and updating us, that makes sense it was underpowering your spark plugs and you probably were getting a misfire on occasion since the spark wasn't consistent.... Big thanks for letting us know!