General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Temp not getting to guage

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Temp not getting to guage

Hello All,
I have a 1986 LXi with a fuel injected engine. The temperature gauge does not display the coolant temperature.

I did the test where you short the temp sensor cable and the gauge goes to max, so I know that the circuit "should" be good.

I also replaced the temp sensor (near the thermostat) and the thermostat itself.

But when the car is started, the gauge does not show the proper temperature. I know the car is getting warm, since I can turn on the heater and feel hot air coming out (after a few minutes of driving the car).

Are there any other places I need to check/can check to see why the temp is not getting displayed?

Thanks,
-tomas

Old 04-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A connector fault or damaged wiring somehow is preventing circuit from operating. You might try tracing the wiring to another connector nearer the gauge panel and measuring thermister resistance levels. There are check resistances in the shop manuals. Check Online Manuals links in DIY section or go to Autozone online manuals for details.

good luck

Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
A connector fault or damaged wiring somehow is preventing circuit from operating. You might try tracing the wiring to another connector nearer the gauge panel and measuring thermister resistance levels. There are check resistances in the shop manuals. Check Online Manuals links in DIY section or go to Autozone online manuals for details.

good luck
Sorry for responding so late. I looked in the shop manual for the car. The part(s) in question are the temperature gauge sending unit and the gauge on the dash. (Page 10-8 and 10-10 of the shop manual, not sure if there is more than one shop manual).

Anyway, running through the tests in the manual, if I perform the first test ("short the circuit"), the gauge responds properly, but slowly. I need to get a better multimeter to check the sending units resistance when hot. That will happen next week after I get a better multimeter. But I'm wondering if the gauge itself may be bad.

In the worse case scenario (a bad gauge), can the gauge itself be replaced or is the instrument cluster replaced as a unit? (I can only find instrument clusters on ebay, not individual gauges).

Thanks for the info!

-tomas

Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've never had a problem w/ temp gauge, so can't comment about replacement. I know there are services that will repair a gauge panel if sent to them. Lowest cost is probably replacing the panel w/ used. Check car-part.com.

You may need to file a odometer change form w/ state to record the change in mileage.

good luck

Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

The gauge can be replaced. Most people are only going to want to seel the entire unit. Might call a local bone yard and see what they have.

But all if this is after testing the sensor.