General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tensioning a timing belt and balance belt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 01:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Tensioning a timing belt and balance belt?

I'm putting back together my 97 Accord 2.2L non vtec and all I have left is the timing and balance belts and a few other things. I need to know how to tension the timing belt, it seems too loose and when I turn the crank, the belt doesnt seem to tighten. I was wondering how I can keep the tensioner in place where the belt can be tighter, and then the balance belt. Theres one nut that holds both pulleys and I need to know how to get the tightness right for both belts, its frusturating, I need help. Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Procedure is described in FSM. Suggest you download from Online Manuals post in DIY forum.

Summary
1) Rotate crank 5-6 full revs CCW. Loosen adjusting nut 1 turn.
2) Align crank and camshaft to TDC (valve cover removed).
3) Rotate crank CCW 3 teeth on camshaft sprocket
4) Tighten adjusting nut securely.

good luck

Old 10-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

The tension pulley has a loop that goes over a stud on the engine block that allows it to properly pivot. This can be overlooked during installation.

Here is a video on a civic timing belt. Putting tension on the belt should be very similar to the Accord.

Last edited by PAhonda; 10-12-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Procedure is described in FSM. Suggest you download from Online Manuals post in DIY forum.

Summary
1) Rotate crank 5-6 full revs CCW. Loosen adjusting nut 1 turn.
2) Align crank and camshaft to TDC (valve cover removed).
3) Rotate crank CCW 3 teeth on camshaft sprocket
4) Tighten adjusting nut securely.

good luck
Ok that's for the timing belt right? How will I do it when I do the balance belt? Do I just line up the timing marks and just put the belt on? And how will that work if I'm supposed to loosen the adjusting nut to put the balance belt on, will the timing belt still stay tensioned if I loosen the nut to put the balance belt on?

Old 10-12-2014, 06:27 AM

No. Put both belts on, manually crank the engine over a few times counter clockwise to get the slack out all the while leaving the tensioning locking bolts one half to one pull turn loose. Then tighten. If the balancer gear is not aligned there is a 12mm head bolt on the back of the block that can be removed, insert a #2 head screw driver and turn the gear until the screw driver slides in. After belts are aligned and bolts are tight remove the screw driver and re install in bolt. You should seriously think about replacing the balancer shaft seal while you are in there as they are well known for leaking. Also, be sure that there is a u-shaped metal bracket over the balancer shaft seal as this was part of a Honda recall many years ago. It it is not there get one from the dealer for a few bucks and install.