General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Thermostat/Coolant Temp Sensor?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Default Thermostat/Coolant Temp Sensor?

How's it goin, HAF?
I'm new to the forums (first post ). Found out about the site during my quest for answers.

I have a 5 speed, 4 cylinder, 2.2L 97 Accord sedan that recently had some work done on it because it broke down on me in the middle of the highway during rush hour traffic... Basically, the tubing that leads coolant from the radiator to the engine busted, causing the engine to quickly overheat. I had that pipe fixed and the car seems to be running well, however, the check engine light came on immediately after I picked it up. I had them run it through the machine to get a code and the guy said it was an "EVAP" code.

Pretty vague.

I took her to have the emissions test run to get a more specific diagnosis and got the code "P0117- Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low Input"

My cousin (ex mechanic) told me I need to have the thermostat and the Coolant Temp Sensor replaced and that it's fairly simple/cheap to do.

Can anyone confirm this for me? Or is that still a bit too vague?
Regardless, thanks much. Hope to get some good info on this site.

-GHO05T

Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

Replacing the thermostat and the coolant temp sensor is pretty easy, but I'm not sure that is your problem.

I would check to make sure all the air was bled out of the system before you go replacing parts.

To do this take the radiator cap off(after the car has sat for a long time) and start the car up and let it run for a few minutes with it off. Then reset the code and see if it comes back.