General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body question (?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Default Throttle Body question (?)

First let me say that I am happy with the performance of my Sport, however a friend and I were having a discussion about adding aftermarket performance parts to any car and he suggested adding a larger bore throttle body to my vehicle. I don't plan on making any changes to this 2015 Accord at present, yet I would appreciate comments and/or advice as to the possibilities.

The Sport, as you know, is an LX with the 2.4L engine and dual exhausts.

1. Would installing a larger bore TB result in a noticeable increase in performance?
2. Does the TB itself have any effect on mpg?
3. Would changing the TB void the warranty?
4. If the TB is upgraded, does that require changing any of the car's settings?

Thoughts?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

As a general answer, a bigger TB can only improve to the extent that the original TB restricts flow when it's wide open.

One extreme, the OEM TB is too small, and everything else (airfilter, manifold, valve-ports, exhaust) is not as restrictive as the TB. It will make a nice improvement.

Other extreme, it's everything else that is restricting the flow, and the TB (wide open) is not a very big part of the overall restriction to flow. Bigger won't help.

TB itself has no influence on MPG as long as you can resist opening it any further than the resistance of the OEM part. Of course, then what's the point?

Warranties have statements that say you void the warranty for anything that is caused by changing that part. In real life, dealers will probably use that to deny coverage for anything remotely related to the engine. Say a drive axle wears out because of all the extra power...

Old 06-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Thanks, Jim
I'll stick with stock