General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Control Cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Default Throttle Control Cable

My transmission is shifting late and hard. I was going to adjust the throttle control cable (kickdown cable) but when looking at the manual it shows three clamps (which mine does have) and two clipped bands that I do not have(they look like it is just to hold it in place right below the two top clamps). The cable right now is just freely swinging around in the engine bay.

Where is the cable suppose to run? Does is really matter that it is not clipped to anything? Also does loosening the cable make it shift sooner or does a tighter cable shift sooner? Right now the cable is pretty tight.

Thank you

Last edited by Genhero; 11-11-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'd secure the cable some how. The before trying to "tune" the shifts, set it to factory spec's.

When was the last time the fluid was changed? Was Honda fluid used? Are the mounts good?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 PM

I just did one flush, still have to do at least one more. I just bought it but the fluid was gross on the first flush and judging by the bootleg things I've found I really doubt it was Honda fluid.

The mount is good though.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

There are four mounts.

I'll inspect how mine is secured (95 EX 4 cyl auto), I've seen it a 100 times just never paid that much attention, to see if I can give more idea's on how to get yours secured.

If the fluid was that bad, I'd do two more cycles with Honda fluid. Adjust/inspect the movement of the cable and see what you have from there.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Genhero
Also does loosening the cable make it shift sooner or does a tighter cable shift sooner? Right now the cable is pretty tight.
From a very informative Honda transmission page:

Problem: My car shifts harshly... when it shifts it jerks, a bad shift shock. What is causing it and how do I fix it?
Only for the computer controlled transmission. The transmission detects pedal dept via two points. One at the TPS and the other at the transmission. If the deeper you press the gas the less harsh it becomes then the problems lies on the out-of-adjustment at the transmission throttle cable.
Probable solution: Using a wrench, adjust the transmission throttle cable in small increments and test drive. Tip: The more the slack the harsher the shift. If this does not solve the problem then it could be a shift timing or other problems as expressed below.
There's more. Search using the text above and you'll find it.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM

Thank you Poorman and Roader. It's all fixed.

I drained and filled the transmission for the second time with Dexron III and lubegard (I know everyone says use Honda fluid only but the guy at the Honda dealership basically turned me away and said save your money. It really needed new fluid so if the problem comes back I'll do it again with Honda fluid... but I digress).

I also tightened the cable, the lever isn't sitting at it's lowest point anymore but it shifts perfect now, I can barely feel it.

The mounts looked alright, not in the best shape but not cracked or anything either.

Now I just need to figure out some other bootleg stuff that I don't know what it was stock and the manual doesn't give a good description. I'll post that later though, in the appropriate section, when I get pictures.