General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

throttle/stall issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default throttle/stall issue?

Ok, so i have a new ( well new for me) 84 accord ( yes i already know it was the redheaded step child of honda on this make).
standard tran. 1.8 lx hatch .

question is i took it on a cruise today just to work out any issues or i should say find any issues it might have. Well i accomplished that goal. I'm haveing an issue that i loose comlete power failure while driveing in pretty much any gear after few minutes. 1st thing i did was change the batt since i know it was an older 1 i was useing, thinking the alt wasnt able to power it up. alt is also not the issue as i tested it.

now when the car dies i'll let it sit for about 30-45 seconds and can get it to crank. its almost like i'm not getting fuel. so i'm thinking it could be fuel filter clogged up (which i'm gonna replace tomorrow) thing i'm confused about is if its the fuel filter getting clogged why wouldn't i have anymore issues after 15-20 min of driveing after dealing with it dieing every few minutes. Then it drives great.

could it still be the filter? or could it be something like my 2nd geuss which is the fuel pump isnt able to pump the fuel all the way up to the carb?

like i said i just got the car friday so i have done absolutlly nothing to it besides fluids and i dont know what parts where replaced before or how new they are.

any help or ideas woould be apreciated

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

That has a carb, so I will let Poorman handle that part. I am sure he will post on this one.

If you just got the car, I would replace the spark plugs. Get the NGK plugs that are recommended for your car at most parts stores. There should be a sticker under you hood with this information and probably in the owners manual.

The oem honda parts site lists NGK BUR5EB-11 or the BUR6EB-11 plugs.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Also check the dist cap and rotor.

Do it "seem" to run fine once the choke is open? Could running rich, next time it dies out, try starting with full throttle.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks poorman, and pahonda.
i went out this morning checking some things out and i have to admit it gave me a good laugh the chock is open all the way its being held by a wire coat hanger... gotta love backyard mechanics that have no clue as to what there doing also had a few vaccume leaks. carb is going to need to be rebuilt but i'm thinking of putting a holly or eldabrock on now i just have to do some research to see if thats gonna be even possible

Old 10-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

I think a few have gone with weber....at least on the 3rd gens.

I was thinking the "other" with the choke....but yes....wide open would be about the same