General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Slight stall on accelleration. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Guindalf
Unregistered
Default Slight stall on accelleration. Normal?

Hey there,

This is a little hard to explain, so please bear with me. I've had this issue since my '04 V6 Ex-L/NAV was new, but every time I take it to the dealer, they say it's normal. The problem is this...

When approaching a turn or other slow-down where you don't actually stop, pumping the gas to speed up again is met with a loss of revs and a small "dip" before the car gets into the right gear and takes off.

My warranty expires on July 6th, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has had this problem before it's too late to argue with the dealer!

(BTW, the car now has 92k on it - I got a 3-year, 100k warranty).

Thanks.

Old 06-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Default RE: Slight stall on accelleration. Normal?

Are you saying that it hesitates prior to the auto transmission finding the correct gear? I wouldn't think that normal but in all honesty I've not driven a 7th generation Honda automatic.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Guindalf
Unregistered

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. It's only when i need to take off in a hurry, like getting into a flow of traffic without slowing it down or similar and only on a rolling start, When I drive "sensibly", it doesn't happen at all.

All I get from the dealer is "this is normal" and he won't do anything.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:20 PM

My car is a 97, and i get the same thing. I think i know exactly what you are talkin about, and it is sort of hard to explain.

After i put my subs in the car, i notice it less, but i think its becuz i accelerate slower now becuz of the extra weight.
I do not know if it is normal or not, but i think i do/did have the same "slight stall" wen i accelerate.

Think of it as if the car was a manual and u were shifting gears. I like to think of it tht way, makes me feel like im in Fast and The Furious shifting gears. Kinda fun, if it is normal for the car to do tht.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:28 AM

My '98 with90k is exactly the same, especially picking back up the accelerator after slowing for a traffic light or intersection. It seems the transmission is actually hunting for a gear when you apply the gas pedal. Kinda unnerving at the least, seems like it's gonna stall before it gets the right gear and takes off again. I don't think its a failure, just some poor TCU programming if there is one. I haven't had my car long enough to research the issue.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

In earlier Accords, there was an issue w/ EGR stumble that was caused by selective plugging of the EGR ports in the intake manifold. Some were open & some closed, w/ too much EG to open ports causing lean stumble at 1800-2000 rpm.

I would also suggest searching TSB's for reports on this issue. Ah! access to TSB's. I used to have a Mitchell on Demand system I got off Ybay, however it no longer works w/ my Vista operating system. Perhaps someone else has them.

regards

Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

My RPM dips down to around 1100 rpm when i let it cruise down...it's hesitates because it has to register the fact you are accelerating? (perhaps or flooring it)?

That is normal...I can make my RPM meter kinda bounce between 1 and 3...just by doing
When approaching a turn or other slow-down where you don't actually stop, pumping the gas to speed up again is met with a loss of revs and a small "dip" before the car gets into the right gear and takes off.
<- that